Archinect
anchor

credit card recommendation?

godori

credit cards are the devil.. but i need to choose one more.. any suggestions?.. i was thinking of the amazon one but i dunno.. i'm not too smart when it comes to all the tiny tiny terms of service fine print info.. so anyone want to suggest a good one? i already got a citibank plat dividend and bank of america check card..

Jul 16, 07 4:28 am
postal

you're asking for financial advice on an architecture board?

Jul 16, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

C'mon postal, we all have credit cards....well, at least I have a few :o)

I have a Citibank as well. For an additional one, I would definitely choose one with a points system or cash back that works for you. I have an AmEx Blue....it's pretty and it's got a decent points network. The skymiles-type credit cards are always a good bet also.

Jul 16, 07 8:53 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

If you're looking for something to transfer debt, pick one with the longest introductory period and then a good rater after that. If you're looking for something to incure a lot of debt (which of course is not recommended) then pick something that has the lowest rate possible. If it's something that you won't spend too much with and you're sure to pay it off at the end of each month, then a points or miles program is a good idea.

Capitol One I think has one of the best rates and intro periods.

Jul 16, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
kablakistan

I have an amazon card, which I like because it was the only rewards card I could find that had no annual fee.

Jul 16, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

You do pay off the balance in full each month, right? If not all the points in the world will never make up for the interest payments. Overall I find AMEX to have the best cardmember benefits. I think the blue is their only No Annual Fee card. Their standard cards carry varying annual fees, but very generous benefits. However they don't let you carry a balance on most of their cards.

Jul 16, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

aquapura is right, if you need something to carry a balance on more than a month at a time, do not get an AmEx card. If you plan to pay it off each month, then they are excellent and also have good customer service as well.

Jul 16, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 

If you need more than one credit card to get by, I wouldn't worry about rewards cards, especially if you have to pay an annual fee for the privelege. If you make little enough money that you have to use a credit card to get by, you won't be able to afford to cash in those reward points for a vacation or anything of the sort. Besides, the big ticket items - the ones that the rewards generally target, like airline tickets - aren't as expensive these days in general. It's usually just more hassle than it's worth.

Go to Bankrate.com for a quick calculator and information to help you decide what card will be right for you. It depends a lot on your credit history and what you plan to do with the card - pay it off every month, transfer balances, etc.

Jul 16, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

"Airline tickets aren't as expensive these days in general"?!? Have you TRIED to fly lately? Captain X, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this issue....

Jul 16, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 

Depends on where you're going and when you plan. It's not as cheap as it may have been a few years back, but it really isn't that bad overall - especially considering that the bonus programs often involve fees, hassles, and a real commitment to using that card to rack up points at times when you might have just used cash or debit. Planning ahead and using travel sites to book your ticket can really cut down the costs overall.

But that's just my take on it; your mileage may vary.

Jul 16, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
simples

we just finished paying off $23k in credit card debt ///some of it justified, most of it not...

my suggestion is to adjust your life style so that you do not need the additional credit card...it's a cycle...once the credit is there, your lifestyle might adjust to it, and before you know it, you will throw in an european vacation (or 3) on your credit...

if you really do need one (owe tuition and the registrar office will not let you register until you get cleared with the bursar office), then choose a credit card with a good reputation in working with their members, and low APR (introductory, and especially after the introductory period) /// (rewards should not be a priority here)///if you get a high credit line, call them and ask them to lower it...(but whatever you do, keep your balances very low in re. to your credit limits...or it will kill your credit score)

remember that you are right, they are the devil...

Jul 16, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Whatever you do, don't get Crapital One! They will start you with a $1,000 credit limit and it will never go up even if your credit is godly.

Chase is very good, as well as Citi. Go for a rewards card (cash back, gas, airline miles... depends on what you like) with no annual fee.

Jul 16, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

duh.

Jul 16, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

If you've already got a frequent flyer account, go with the card that gives you points towards that airline, so that your miles add up faster.

Jul 16, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

You should base your decision on APR rates, customer service standards and the services they provide. Select the one that meets your needs and try to find one with no annual fees. I prefer AMEX so I force myself to pay the balance off monthly, but if you are looking for a revolving credit card, I have always had good experiences with Chase. You might want to do comparison-shopping at bankrate.com to find a card that meets your needs.

Jul 17, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
n_

I use this bad boy.

No annual fee. Revolving credit line. Great customer service. Earn points on ever single purchase. 25k points gets you a free domestic airline ticket on any airline with no black out dates.

Jul 17, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

would you like my cc no. too?

Jul 17, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

dont ever ever go for capital one
my ex roommate got a credit line of $200 on a 16.5% apr with them...and he di dnto have a bad credit history at all!

Jul 18, 07 1:30 am  · 
 · 
med.

I like to have a credit card from the same exact bank that I have my checking/savings at. That way I just do monthly transfers to pay the balance or the minimum if it happens to be a difficult month.

And I only have one CC with a huge credit limit. I like it better that way instead of having a couple.

Jul 18, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 

recommendation: pay with cash.

Jul 18, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Recommendation: Don't pay with cash but pay your credit card balance IN FULL each and every month so you never have to pay interest. This way you build good credit for future larger purchases (house, car) that require future financing.

Jul 18, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

I've heard that if you pay in full every month, it counts against you because the CC companies cant make any money off of you.

There's so much contradictory information out there that its sickening.

That being said.......use cash!

Jul 18, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Every time you make a payment as agreed to a creditor, you are building a favorable credit history. They do not penalize your credit for making payments on time.

PS. Credit card companies make plenty of money off of you even if you pay on time. Every transaction you make charges the seller a credit card fee.

Jul 18, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i haven't been to more than two places that take amex in forever. i don't understand why people have those cards.

Jul 27, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

haha. funny post. this may very well fit on to green thread central but GE has a credit card called GE Money Earth Rewards that offsets your carbon impact.

that might be one.

Jul 30, 07 2:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: