Archinect
anchor

I've been wondering...

learningmatter

Greetings to all,

My name is Anthony, I am 22 years old, and extremely interested in the beautiful field of architecture. I have been going to school for four years, building towards an illustration career, but only realized, after a series of critical self-inquisitions, that I truly would love to rather be an architect.

I would absolutely appreciate any advice based on your knowledge or examples through experience when it comes to making a decision like this considering, also, architecture..

I am in the tri-state area, what schools should I look into?

Would it be a bad decision to leave my school now to find another with an architecture program?

What is architecture? What does it involve?

What do you like about it?

What are some problems you ran into throughout your education if any?

What are some things I should be worried about if any at all?

These questions might seem somewhat general/unnecessary/simple/etc., but it would honestly help me a ton..

Thank you all so much.

Nov 9, 12 10:27 am
stone

You might want to spend some time on this website: http://www.aia.org/professionals/careers/index.htm

Nov 9, 12 10:34 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

The profession is a shitty mess.  There is little upward mobility in the traditional practice.  The AIA and NCARB are not at all helpful to grads.  IDP is a horrible and slow process that is just a form of economic protectionism.  You will likely be broke for the first 10 years.  Unemployment is the highest of  any profession.  Unless you are in NY or Cali you will likely not find a job for at least 1-2 years after graduating.  The school is great and you learn alot, but no one cares.  All you will ever think about is architecture.  It will take over your mind.  If you love it this crap may be worth it, but If you don't love it,  just become a lawyer or doctor and when you are rich then you can design houses and sell them on the side.

Nov 9, 12 10:45 am  · 
 · 
smcguire

don't listen to pessimists like jla-x. if you work hard, you can find a fulfilling career quickly after school that is both rewarding and actually not underpaid (I have...). furthermore, I have plenty of unemployed lawyer friends who are struggling much more than my design colleagues so there's no field, besides medicine, that will protect you from economic downturns (and medicine has its own set of issues). 

Nov 9, 12 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Both jla-x and smcguire are correct and show a pretty accurate representation of the current state of the profession. Architecture isn't for the faint of heart and the best way to see if you're meant for the profession is to get your foot in the door with a firm in your area. As an  illustrator you would be able to contribute at an intern level, the work would be far less stimulating than what you did in school I'm sure.

Introduce yourself to firms in your area, if you can find a short-term gig and still like what you do then apply for school. Believe it or not, some firms actually have illustrators on staff...we do for some unknown reason...but you may not have as much trouble getting an internship with your background. Firms that specialize in preservation, residential and commercial interiors would be happy to have you on board.

Nov 9, 12 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I'm just telling it how it is.  It is only worth the economic and emotional stress if you love it.  I love it and I am able to endure these issues because I love it.  If I did not absolutly love the art and science of architecture I would have never pursued it as a career because it is full of uncontrollable obstacles and uncertainties.  If you are looking for a stable career then architecture is not a good bet.  I graduated top of my class with an M-arch and was not able to find employment.  About half of my graduating class still has not found arch employment 1.5 years after graduating, and the ones who have had to relocate to other states and countries.  I have taken matters into my own hands and started my own design business which is doing ok.  Don't bet on an easy straight foward path.  You will likely have to adapt from time to time and work "outside the box".  This is not for everyone and it requires stepping out of your comfort zone sometimes.  If you are looking for a clear straight foward career then law or medicine is a better bet.  Not discouraging you, but you need to ask these questions and understand the reality of the profession in its current state before you take the leap.  If you are in NY, LA, or willing to travel abroad, then you will probably be ok.  Some states are really in shambles though, and if you are landlocked to a specific area because of family, a mortgage ect....You should think twice.  The profession requires frequent relocation and years of internship. 

That being said, the academic program is the best education you can get.  You will learn alot about science, history, politics, art..... and mostly how to solve problems.  It is really an incredable field if you have the passion and patience for it.  Also, don't forget that you can chose to work outside of the traditional realm and make your own career, but once again this can be daunting and is not for everyone.

Good luck!

Nov 9, 12 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
learningmatter

I deeply value all your advice. You have all been a tremendous help in clearing any fog in my mind about this type of decision. I do live in the NY area, and to be more specific, I'm across the water from NYC. The schools I'm looking into include Stevens Institute of Technology, Cooper Union, NJIT, NYIT, Pratt, etc.  I truly don't mind going abroad if it has to happen either. My character is all patience and flexibility.

It's comforting to know that some firms are open enough to accept illustrator interns. There are always a handful on craigslist for the NYC area, but I keep thinking I have to be in school already to be a valid intern choice. I will surely apply for some, thank you. 

Up until recent, I've only realized that in order for me to improve, my level of being comfortable would have to be breached so I liked that you mentioned that it requires me to "step out of my comfort zone".  All I've been at my current university is comfortable, but I always wanted more than that.  I mean, humans are made to struggle or we don't learn anything, right?

Thank you all so much, deeply appreciate it. I hope to be working with you great minds one day to build a structure on the moon. Good luck with all your future endeavors.

Anthony

Nov 10, 12 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: