Archinect
anchor

Eave overhang fire protection

madesign

Hi all,

We need to provide one hour rated protection for under eaves on a residential property remodel.  The existing open eaves have t&g sheathing with exposed rafter tails and 2x blocking b/w rafters.  (see attached image)  We are hoping to replicate this in the addition. 

We know we can use Hardisoffit or equivalent for the sheathing, but are at a loss as to what we can use for the 2x rafter tails, blocking, and also for the required attic venting.  The Building Materials List on the Fire Marshal website does not provide any information on approved vents or lumber.

We are in California.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Nov 8, 12 8:45 pm
poop876

Is the wall itself rated? Why just rating the eave?

Lets assume the wall is rated, can you run that rated wall to the decking, so the eave itself becomes a projection and does not need to be rated? I know I've rated a overhang before but forget why and how, but I'll look it up tomorrow when I get to the office.

Are you in the setback so you need to rate it?

Nov 8, 12 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

oh I just looked at this

http://firecenter.berkeley.edu/new_bwmg/soffit_eave/code

Nov 8, 12 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
madesign

Thanks, I saw that firecenter article also when researching, but it didn't tell me much specifics.  I still don't know how I can have eave vents if this needs to be rated. 

The reason the eaves need to be rated (and not the walls) is because they exceed 24" depth.  At this point I'm thinking just of cutting back the eaves from 30" to 24" to save a lot of delay and bother.  I can't even get a response from the fire department! 

Nov 9, 12 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: