Archinect
anchor

90 day wait on SF Federal Building

blackturtleneck

Apparently they are not letting the general public in for 3 months. Maybe I could get a job as a janitor....

Jul 12, 07 1:29 am
mightylittle™

i will sneak in as a judge.

Jul 12, 07 2:54 am  · 
 · 
grid

aww - and i am headed up there this weekend

Jul 12, 07 3:12 am  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

THAT BLDG IS AWESOME! I HAVE A VIEW OF IT FROM MY APARTMENT!

Jul 12, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
grid

You must have a big telescope in NY.

Jul 12, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

maybe there's something about it on youtube grid.

Jul 12, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Guess they want to be sure it will survive and Earth Quake....or several minor ones before it opens....Stubbins Sturctural Engineer didn't work on it did he?

Jul 12, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

there is there a ViDeO

Jul 12, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
blackturtleneck

I thought the amount of steel needed to hold up the metal screen facade was pretty impressive. Maybe it's actually a missile deflector or something.

Jul 12, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

"... some workers there are dubbing the place the "Tower of Torture.''...
the building has so much natural lighting -- one of its heralded architectural achievements -- that some workers have resorted to wearing sunglasses and keeping sun umbrellas at their desks."

From SF Gate

Jul 12, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats just like our office. all open with plenty of light to give glare induced headaches.

Jul 12, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
winifred
Jul 12, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

I think the curvature of the earth would exclude the possibility of viewing the federal building from new york. But then you could admire the architecture inside of a garbage can in your alley just the same.

Jul 13, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

amazingly ...my screen name doesn't depict where i live, ha! what do ya knpw!

Jul 13, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
enzo76

Rumor has it neither the GSA nor Morphosis produced a building maintenance manual, so nobody knows how the building works, especially its sustainable features. Couple that with a building full of lazy half-wit federal employees who probably hate anything new and you don't exactly have a recipe for success.

A part of me doesn't believe one should have to learn how to use a building, but in some cases it benefits the user to do so and is worth the effort.

My office has huge windows, but we have these things called window shades. Rarely in the scope of a base building, I suspect the client group chose not to install them cuz someone went over budget (oops!). Do you think nobody at any point during design brought up the possible glare issue, or do you suppose everyone assumed the sun shading strategies would suffice?

Jul 13, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: