Archinect
anchor

Becoming An Architect

cyberjack51

Hello,

I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts (Pre-Architecture) degree in NY. I have worked under a licensed Architect in a small firm for 1.5 years and am continuing to do so. I will be graduating with a M.S. in Construction Management in NY. I am looking to become a licensed Architect in the future. I have not started the IDP and am wondering what the enrollment process is and will my previous work experience count towards the IDP requirement? Does my Masters Degree add any education/experience substitution? Is there any other route besides the IDP? I would not like the 1.5 years to be wasted.

Thank you.

J

Nov 5, 12 11:22 pm
mdler

stay in construction management

Nov 5, 12 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

To become a registered architect, you're going to need a NAAB-accredited degree. Like mdler says, you are better off staying in construction management.

Nov 6, 12 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

In some states, you do not need an accrecited professional degree (California), but prooving the educational equivalency and satisfy the 8-year experience equivalency is quite complicated.  http://www.cab.ca.gov/pdf/publications/table_equivalents.pdf

So, it's going to be difficult, but NOT impossible to become an architect without going back to school to get an architectural degree.

Cheers.

Nov 6, 12 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I agree with mdler. It's not uncommon for an architect to become a construction manager when he/she realises the pay off in construction is far great and there are more opportunities ( depending on your region ).

Nov 6, 12 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
cyberjack51

Thanks for the advice everyone. I emailed NYSED.gov and they said I would need 7 years of experience and 3 more years for licensure... I may stay in construction management, in which I am learning Revit, Navisworks, and Primavera P6 programs. However, I haven't had any direct work experience in this field, so I hope I don't start off too slow behind others.

Nov 7, 12 12:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: