Archinect
anchor

working with PVC .. Toxic ?

I;ve heard things about the toxicity of PVC - not to sound paranoid, but does PVC tubing have any particular risks associated with it ? let's say you spend 2 weeks working with the stuff? if anyone has advice,, would be v. welcomed..

Jul 10, 07 8:19 am
brian buchalski

don't burn it, you'll get a nasty headache

Jul 10, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's always smart to wear a respirator (not a dinky little paper face mask, but an actual filtered respirator) if you are cutting things that can become fine-grained breathable-size particles. Including, yes, PVC.

And don't get that plastic weld stuff on your skin.

Jul 10, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

PVC should really be a four-letter word.

For insight into the nasty reality of PVC, watch the HBO documentary "Blue Vinyl". I highly recommend it.

Jul 10, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 
4arch

If it's a plumbing job you are doing and you are that worried you could use alternatives - PEX or copper for supply and ABS or cast iron for waste.

Jul 10, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

PVC is dangerous if you:
Eat it.
Inhale it.
Produce it.

Simply working around it for two weeks if you are careful won't be any worse for you than living in your apartment, which is no doubt full of toxic swiffer off-gassing, laser printer toner, and whatnot. Just do yourself a favor and get a high quality pair of one handed pvc pipe shears so you aren't cutting it with a saw.

LB is right about the solvent and the primer not being good for you - use outside or in a well ventilated area, and wear gloves. The solvent in particular can really irritate your skin.

Jul 10, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

I forgot to mention above that PVC releases dioxin when burned. Dioxin is extremely carcinogenic; It was used to poison Viktor Yuschenko, causing serious internal illness and disfuguring his face. Stay away from it!

Jul 10, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

according to this:

New car smell? New shower curtain smell? That’s the smell of poisonous chemicals off-gassing from the PVC.

!!!

Jul 10, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

PVC is terrible if it burns or melts. gives off chlorine gas essentially (PVC=polyvinyl cholride) and chlorine gas is highly highly highly toxic.

hands down. it's not good for you in prolonged exposures. why don't you go check out the MSDS sheets? whoever you're working for legally needs to provide you with them upon request...

Jul 10, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
c

thanks for all the comments - we'll see how things go -hopefully a cool project will result which you can all see in a few months !

Jul 10, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

makes me wonder why we use that stuff, or enamel paint for that matter. The idea of using deadly poisons to make household appliances is hardly logical to me, but I guess thats the modern way.

Jul 11, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: