Archinect
anchor

A Trip to Greece

SuperBeatledud

Ok, so to finish up my internship in Europe, I'm planning a solo trip to Greece from the 2nd to 10th of September. I'll be landing in Athens, but I only want to spend a day or so there. I'll then be renting a moped and taking it on ferries as I go from island to island. I want to do a new island about ever 1-2 days, then return to Athens on the 10th and fly home (hence I need to do a circle or go to a far island and work my way back). Thoughts on where to go?

Jul 9, 07 7:48 pm
vado retro

you should definitely hit lesbos.

Jul 9, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

My Wife and I went last summer for three weeks, and had a blast. Our short list of thoughts:

Leave Athens by Rafina -- most of the boats from Piraeus take an extra three hours, whereas driving or taking a bus to Rafina only takes an hour. You cans save some dough on a hotel there one night, which is a fair amount cheaper than one in Athens. There are four or five right on the port, and an awesome two-story open-air restaurant directly across from where the ferries land.

Mykonos is packed with students and tour boats. Only plan long enough there to visit Delos.

Naxos was my wife's favorite, and the most affordable we visited. Get maps before you seek out the giant Kouroi inland, and make sure you check out the weird village on the east side of the island that was re-settled by Cretans 600 years ago. There is one great potter there, and another on the outskirts of the abandoned city in the middle of the island. The farther South you go, the more empty the beaches are, and there is a pretty wild half-finished Fascist resort somewhere along the coast. Make it back into town before sunset every evening, then have a cocktail and watch the ships come in and the sun set through the ancient giant doorway.

Santorini was beautiful, and if you have transport, you can stay in the resorts on the south end of the island, which are much more affordable. Make a trip up to Ia on the north end of the island -- there are a few nice artists workshops, including a classically trained ikon painter.

I loved Crete the best, although with only eight days, you might not make it. The museum has a collection of archaic architectural models, as well as some really strange artefacts that your art history prof never talked about. Knossos is wild, and they drink Raki instead of Ouzo.

Jul 10, 07 12:38 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

mespellrong, well done. I really appreciate all the detail.

vado, I know there IS an island called lesbos, but I don't know if I should take your comment with a grain of salt or not.

Jul 10, 07 5:37 am  · 
 · 
archetype

Paros, Santorini, Nafplion, and Athens:

www.pbase.com/archetype/greece

Jul 10, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
too many lines!

Santorini is the absolute best... well, i got married there and just went there again and got back last week. Firostefani is the best place to stay because it's quiet-ish (away from the bulk of the tourists) and still in walking distance to Fira (downtown)... get a hotel that faces the Caldera so you can watch the sunset from your veranda everyday. Oia gets very pricey, but go there for a sunset dinner one night. make sure you know the price of the fish before they make it into a dish for you... they are VERY tricky about that... sometimes it can turn out to be over 200 euros for a freakin fish. i would suggest staying here for more than just 2 days.

Paros is absolutely amazing... all locals, relaxing organic beaches. the best part is to explore the tiny little hidden isolated beaches where there's absolutely no one. great night life.

Crete was nice but i felt like it was a little too large... we were in Elounda bay which was very nice, near Agios Nikolaos... when greece won the euro cup, that was very fun.

Mikonos... well, it's got some beautiful beaches but honestly i hated it... it was way too 'spring break-y' and too commercialized and touristy and crowded... they even have a starbucks! i.e. what's the point? and if you're a tad homophobic, don't even step foot on the island.

Samos was nice... a lot greener, but the Cyclades islands are probably the ones you want to hop... the "Flying Dolphin" is a good ferry to get you around swiftly.

Jul 11, 07 2:38 am  · 
 · 
TheArchitect

Paros = Great party + nice nature and beaches

Antiparos = quiet atmosphere

Ios = Crazy party + nice beaches.

Santorini = boring + culture and old tourists.

Naxos = boring + nice nature and beaches.

Jul 11, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

TheArchitect, does boring mean no parties? Cause I want to party, but I also wouldn't mind chilling on a beautiful beach with out a soul in sight.

Jul 11, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

if you want to party, that happens on turkish shores across the street.
i personally hate that noise.

chios is a nice island that not a lot of people go to. also kos.

Jul 11, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

anyone want to come with?

Jul 11, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
TheArchitect

DuperBeatledud.

Paros has both. Nice parties and alot of young people at the main city (which also has nice beaches). Around the island you will find really nice spots without people.

The same counts for Ios. Except it is smaller. And the party is more intense.

Santorini is nice looking, but more for older cruise tourists.
Naxos is the bigggest island. Nice nature, but i never really found the party there.

There used to be young people on all the islands tho, so you cant really go wrong.

Jul 12, 07 4:39 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

how about the women in Greece, any insight there?

Jul 12, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: