Archinect
anchor

Infill Architecture-Like a Coral Reef or Marketplace

tzaar

I'm trying to generate some discussion and track down some case studies on what I like to call 'coral reef' architecture. Has anybody ever come across some instances where architecture is formed by growing within an existing framework?

One example might be like a marketplace, where the only existing structure is a grid of posts, and vendors self-organize to form a vibrant community. Any ideas?

T

Jul 9, 07 2:38 pm

got hit hard by katrina but before that the 'boathouses' along lake pontchartrain in new orleans might be a good example for you to check out. were built (i think) by the corps of engineers as simple boat sheds but came into the private domain and were sold one by one to people who renovated them as homes, vacation homes, offices, whatever, basically using the shells of the boathouses as a foil for their interventions. some were pretty ramshackle/ad hoc; others won design awards.

Jul 9, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

look up kowloon walled city

Jul 9, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

look at Borneo Sporenburg (sp?) in Amsterdamn...not 100% what you are looking for, but the docks were an existing infastructure

Jul 9, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jul 9, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

ahh..the ponte vecchio...

are you talking about events or programs that appropriate space that was intended for another use? Or something more permanent? The theoretical definition of architecture...or actual permanent structure?

Jul 9, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
tzaar

These are great examples, thank you!

I am interested not only in places that have been appropriated for other uses, but also places where infill has been encouraged, thus creating a more organic architecture and urban environment. Permanence is relative from culture to culture (and climate), so at this point I am still collecting everything I can!

I am off to a fund raiser, I will post with greater eloquence later this evening!

Jul 9, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

ahh, infill development. an interesting topic especially considering the state of urban areas, population increase, and a [greater than ever] focus on our green responsibility. hmm...examples...

need to think.

Jul 9, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i might be off but you might also want to check out atelier bow wow's pet architecture

Jul 9, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: