Archinect
anchor

Two Year Architectual Colleges??

erutcetihcra

Are there any Two Year Architecture Preparation colleges out there that are good? I keep looking at 4/5 Year Universities and see that they accept mostly Transfer students from previous Design or Arch School, but I've never heard of 2 yr. junior Colleges or what not?? Thanks.

Jul 9, 07 8:48 am
rfuller

Not to dog on 2 yr's, but most of our transfers at TTU end up having to start all over again from the beginning. A lot of them get a real chip off thier shoulder about it, too. It seems like most of them are focused on CAD work, and hardly touch on design. Then they show up and transfer into Studio II or III without any design background to speak of, do poorly, talk to the dean, and start from scratch.

But, that's just my personal experience here at TTU. I'm sure there's a good one out there somewhere that I don't know about.

Jul 9, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

i don't know where you're getting your information. almost all 4/5 yr universities accept students straight out of high school. there are a small percentage of transfers from other architecture programs or from other programs outside of architecture (usually engineering students)....but they are typically a minority. don't bother with a 2 yr prep course. just go for a B Arch accredited program.......

Jul 9, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

From what I've heard the 13th grade route won't save you any time at the University. 5-year is still the quickest option available.

Jul 9, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

Yeah. If you transfer from a community college, or from a college in which you didn't major in Arch. you will most likely start from scratch as an arch student, even though your grades transfer. Some Universities, such as UVA, VT, USC (from my own exp.) will give you the chance to start as a second or even third year if your admission (UVA and VT, you automatically take summer courses to see where you stand) OR portfolio (USC) credentials are superb. Other schools like Penn State, NC state, Kansas State, you start right away a first year, regardless of your background as a transfer student.

NOTE: this is all based on personal exp.

Jul 9, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i went to a two year because my high school grades sucked. they didn't call it "high" school for no reason. i got dicked over even with a 3.8gpa out of my two year program when i applied to transfer out. it may save you money, but surely not time. i have to take some design courses over when i transfer into ohio state this fall. so i'm going to be in school a little longer then i thought.

if you're looking to save money, go to the two year but only take courses like sociology, math, health, and english. there is like a 98% chance that the school you transfer into will take those basic classes towards their 4/5 year program.

hope that helps.

Jul 9, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
erutcetihcra

futureboy ~ You are probably right about what you say, I guess this was talking about Transfer students and how they will judge newcomers who are transfer students:

"How competitive is it to get in to the School of Architecture at The University of Texas at Austin?

Admission is very competitive. We receive around 150 applications per year and can only accept a few. Typically, those accepted are coming from other architecture or interior design programs."

I guess this is talking about poeple who transfer from other Universities, not necessarily from Junior colleges. Guess that explains my stupid question.

Jul 9, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

you apply to austin and are not from texas, you won't get in. i've tried and know people who have tried. they shit on out-of-state students. wonder why though when they bill 40k to them.....

Jul 9, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

UT, eh? Well, if you can't get in there, we've got their old dean up here at TTU. UT is actually the reason they're getting rid of the top 10% acceptance rule in TX. I was top 10 at my HS, aced the math on the SAT, Went to state 3 years in a row for UIL Math/Science, etc., etc., etc...and I still didn't get in. If you want to transfer into UT, go to UT Arlington. If you still can't get in, stick with UT Arlington or come up to TTU. Just my 2 cents on TX schools.

Jul 9, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

a search would be good to answer your question as well eru

junior college

Jul 9, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Ask the the 2 year community college..if they have an articulation agreement. If they do that will most likely get you into 2nd or 3rd year...

"In United States education, articulation or more specifically course articulation, refers to the process of comparing the content of courses that are transferred between postsecondary institutions such as colleges or universities. In other words, course articulation is the process by which one institution matches its courses or requirements to course work completed at another institution. Students use course articulation to assure that the courses they complete will not have to be repeated at the institution to which they are transferring.

Course articulation should be differentiated from the process of acceptance by one institution of earned credit, from another institution, as applicable towards its degree requirements, i.e. "transferring credit".

Course articulation may be done on an ad hoc basis when a student actually wishes to transfer or pursuant to existing course-to-course comparison data or more formal articulation agreements. In the latter case, representatives of each institution compare their respective course curricula, to determine which courses are comparable and which are not. Their consensus is then formalized in a written agreement which is then used by students and advisors and is updated according to a mutual schedule.

The process of articulation can become very complicated when students transfer courses earned at multiple and international campuses, more than 5-10 years ago, or have alternative credit experiences such as exam or military credit."

Jul 9, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
blah

There are some excellent 2 year colleges out there. Look at the recent NY Times section/issue on them.

We have a really good studio based upon work done at Cooper Union...

The old guys who teach the tech stuff are excellent. You can receive a great education at one.

As for transferring credit, 2 year colleges have agreements with state schools for transfer credit. You need to look them over. U of I Champaign accepts up to 2 years worth of credit so you'd start in 3rd year studio.

That's the best deal here in Illinois1

Jul 9, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

makerArch,

yeah i hear what you're saying with the articulation deal. the only thing is, with myself, none of the 4 schools we had an architectural program articulation with were of my liking. so i can of screwed my self over in the beginning by going outside of that articulation. whatever, i'm in no rush to get into the full-time work field. you only go through college once(typically).

Jul 9, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

What area of the country are you looking at? I know of three in California.

City College of San Francisco
El Camino College (Torrance/LA area)
Mesa Community College (San Diego)

Jul 10, 07 2:40 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Harrington College in Chicago gives a Bachelors in Interior Design that is an upper division only degree (third and fourth year of undergrad). It is a quite well respected school, and many of the grads go o to work for architects in the area.

Jul 10, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Pasadena City College, and West Los Angeles College, Have an Arcticulation agreement with SCIARC...that gets you in third year...

Jul 10, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you may be more eligible for 4 year bachelor's degrees where the curriculum specializes in the last two years primarily. many BA programs are like that.

Jul 11, 07 3:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: