Archinect
anchor

15" Macbook Pro : Is the higher model worth the extra $500?

standaman

I'm currently choosing between the two 15" Macbook Pro. The main difference you get in the higher model for the extra $500 premium is a slightly faster processor (2.4Ghz vs. 2.2 Ghz Core2Duo) and higher graphics card specs (256MB vs. 128MB GeForce 8600M GT).

I'm going to be doing mostly 3D modeling (NOT rendering) and 2D work (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc). I will NOT be watching movies or playing games on it at all. Do you think it's worth the extra $500 to get the higher-end model?

Jul 7, 07 5:30 pm
FOG Lite

Graphics cards are FOR 3D modeling, not rendering. It'll still be passable with the 128, but you'll be a lot happier with the 256.

Jul 7, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

I see. When I do model, it will be in WIndows XP using Rhino. Will navigating the viewports be slower/choppier with 128 MB compared to 256? What type of benefits will I see with more memory?

Jul 7, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Rhino for Mac should be out in beta form within weeks... Make sure that you get the model with the LED screen, the new one. It weighs less, has less mercury in it and uses less battery power.

Other than that, check out the HD size and speed. I don't think that the video card will make that big a difference as the CPU will do all of the work.

I recommend a veteran authority on all matters speed and Mac:

http://www.barefeats.com/

Jul 8, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
blah

Here's info on hard drive performance:

http://www.barefeats.com/rosa05.html

Jul 8, 07 2:28 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

your better off getting a pc for about a gran lower then MAC... with HP you can get 4 gigs of DDR RAm, 512 mb Geforce Nvida 8600 and a
2.4 duo core processor..with a 160 gig hard drive.......

its more for your money...... I have to say though the MAc is "pretty" computer

Jul 8, 07 2:36 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

DIFFICULT...actually im setting up a DELL with the same config as a POWERBOOK, and DELL turns to be more expensive.... + lot of friends, pc users, and doing kind of the same work as i, and using the same softwares (natural PCs softwares), have been telling me that since they tried MAC i should get a MAC...im actually confussed right now....

Jul 30, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: