Archinect
anchor

Which would you choose?

thakopian

Which would be a better position to start from out of school?

Architecture office, small - drafting only

Engineering corporation, medium - drafting only

Design/Planning office, small - Contacting offices, compiling reports, creating budgets, design plans but no buildings, drafting, visualizations, community outreach.

I figure something in arch/design is a good starting point but the bigger the scope of your work the better off you will be in future prospects because you dealt with a lot of different things, not being pigeon-holed.

But if you want to maintain a career in architecture then it may not help as much. I don't know. Design might well be design regardless of what you have been working on but it would be nice to have experience with Type V construction to help your employment chances.

Nov 2, 12 5:30 pm
backbay

small architecture office will probably not just be drafting only.  out of necessity they'll start putting you on other stuff.

Nov 2, 12 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

The architecture firm position is 95% drafting to finish CD. I could be doing other things but it's only a contract job for drafting at this point.

Nov 2, 12 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

well if its a temporary postion thats another story.  in my short experience i've learned a lot just by drafting.  it depends on what you're drafting, and in a smaller firm you're probably going to get experience doing a little bit of everything (some of my friends just do bathroom details all day, or thats what they say).  would be good to hear from other people.

Nov 2, 12 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

I figure you would learn similar things between the three positions but the specializations would set you apart. That being said I would rather have a long term position than a short one.

Nov 2, 12 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Hey T, for you, Design/Planning office, small - Contacting offices, compiling reports, creating budgets, design plans but no buildings, drafting, visualizations, community outreach.

Nov 3, 12 12:24 am  · 
 · 
thakopian

I set my sights on the AEC industry. I like the expansive role of the planning office but don't know how picky architects are with your experience. If you haven't designed a house, that's a strike against you in a lot of offices.

Clearing the selection up:

Architecture office: Contract 3 months, 32 hours/week

Engineering office: Full-time I think, just drafting

Planning offices: Intern/Probation 3 months, full-time

Nov 4, 12 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: