Archinect
anchor

Architecture Or Family?

trace™

Money - borrow if you have to. Your dream is worth time and money, so the longer you wait that equates to losing money (at least in my mind). I know too many people that are/have put off pursuing their dream/school because they don't have a fat bank account. Honestly, I think it's almost an excuse (at for those that I know).

Do what you have to get it done, period.

Math - nobody knows any math. Don't worry a second about that.

Family - as everyone points out, it happens or it doesn't. Not many get to plan the perfect time for a family (and that can be a good thing). Don't let that stop you.

Enjoyment - that' the big one. Again, as everyone's pointed out, really get a feeling for what architecture is. School is a blast, the real world sucks *##!

I left architecture for 3D/graphics/web and am very happy with that choice. I still do some architecture, but I am financially much better off, work less (or at least make my own hours), etc.

I found the monotony of the typical day in most firms to be of no interest. So make sure you understand this part of it.

Time - you are still young. There is time to do something, decide you don't like it, then do something else (although that'd be costly).

Jul 7, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I am 35, and just finished my Bachelors at, you guessed it, UNM. I just had my first child, Maceo, and am moving to Houston in August to do my masters at Rice. All of this after I had already had a successful career as a graphic/web designer in Austin.

You can make it happen if you want it to happen.

Jul 7, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

did it hurt jason? giving birth that is?

Jul 7, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

nah, the stork was gentle.

Jul 7, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh and congrats by the way! how's the arch school coming along?

Jul 7, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'd suggest trying it out with one of the pre- m.arch programs like they have at columbia or harvard or UCLA etc. etc. it'll give you an idea of the stresses and demands of studio at the very least. look in your area.

also, as mentioned above, working your way into a firm w/ your GD experience may be a good intro as well. you'll see how a firm operates and works and what's involved from a tangentially related point of view.

if you're nervous about the whole thing, you definitely should try to get as good of a picture of the profession and school as you can before you jump into anything.

also, to note, you mentioned you're geographically restricted which in my honest opinion is a hindrance in architecture. it inevitably is a profession that thrives in certain cities and regions more than others. and while good schools exist throughout the nation, it's important to find one that is doing work in the directions that suit you.

Jul 7, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

PS

look towards liberty bell, she's held in high regard by everyone on archinect... running her own firm, having a family, teaching... she has it figured out.

Jul 7, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I was surprised to peek in this thread and realize the first person to mention one of the summer programs was ACfA on like the 66th post!

If you are not sure you will enjoy actually being an architect, try to scrape together the $2000 to head up to Cambridge for 6 weeks and do the Career Discovery summer program there. It is precisely aimed at those who are considering a career change (no high school students allowed--college and post-college only) (they usually have a few people in their 50s and older, even) and is a great, cheap way to dip your toe in the water. They don't really advertise it, but scholarships are available, for sure. Obviously you wouldn't be getting an income for that time, so it might require subletting or giving up your apartment or whatever, throwing all your stuff in storage, and finding some cheap cambridge closet for awhile. But it's one hell of a program, from what I've observed.

There are other summer programs as well, with varying similarites. Not only will these programs give you a taste of the design life but they will also leave you with a portfolio of projects for acceptance into an MArch program.

Jul 7, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would save the two grand and just contact an architect in the city or town that you live in and ask them if you can hang out there for a bit and see just how thrilling a career in the building arts can be. i suggest this because architecture school, while very challenging, sometimes frustrating and exhausting, is not what working in the profession really is.

Jul 7, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Hello again folks-thanks for all the very helpful responses! I never knew I had so many options!
I really like the suggestions about going to a firm here in town to see if I like it before I put down a lot of money for school-the friend I had in school actually used to work for Hastings, so I'm definately going to contact them to see what's going on there, as well as the other fims that were suggested earlier.

I know this is a dumb question, but I need to ask it...do you think it's possible to get a paid internship at a firm for a couple of months if I have no formal experience in the field?

Jul 7, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

there is no harm in trying: a friend of mine lucked into a paid position in a firm in houston basically being an intern w/ no experience, professional or academic. he got in because he knew the partner's daughter from school. if you have contacts, use them, otherwise do something else to get your foot in the door. you can work in the marketing department or in admin or something. most firms , particularly large ones, will have opportunities like that. while there, pick the brains of the architects sitting around you.

Jul 7, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well if you are a graphic designer then they usually need those skillz, so you can always barter or just say hey i will do graphics for ya and you teach me how what a "4" concrete slab with wwm on a 6 mil v.b. on 4" compacted gravel min." is.

Jul 7, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Summer Studies - absolutely a superb way to get familiar with it all. I went to RISD for 6+ weeks, lived in their housing, ate in the cafeteria, etc. It was wonderful. We got a taste of evreything from history to structures to as builts to all nighters!

Great stuff. One of the best times I've had. Wasn't too expensive, as I recall, but that's relative I guess.

good point out myriam!

I almost guarantee that if you go work for an architect for a summer you'll stick with graphics (unless you have a really bad graphic job). Just my jaded opinion, but I enjoy designing graphics/web much more than Autocad.

Jul 7, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: