Archinect
anchor

Maxwell, Artlantis, or other?

Tarheel_11

I'm trying to find a good rendering program and I'm sort of torn between these two at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to these programs or any other that will give me the best high quality, most realistic reders?

Jul 2, 07 11:51 am
smithwillb

UNC 4/life

Jul 2, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I have never used Maxwell but I have used Artlantis quite a bit and I think its a pretty solid renderer. The new Artlantis Studio uses Radiosity and includes animation capabilities which puts it up there with other highend renderers. It's also fairly easy to use and produces renderings quickly. Most people on this site seem to say that Maxwell is the best renderer and maybe it is, i don't know. But I have found Artlantis to be quite good.

Jul 2, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
superduct

use 3ds max.

it is the best. not easy to begin with, but has endless possibilities.

check out vue 6 for rendering environments. it has the best procedural environmental textures out there. built in features like wind and individual sway control for plants make the program even more amazing.

use vue 6 as a plugin for 3ds max and you are unstopable...

Jul 2, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

No I Say Maxwell Render...Is the way to go, the only issue Its a really slow Renderer.... Even with a good graphics Card and High memory Ram...It will take many many hours to render.......

You have to have two systems...one so you can model..and another just for rendering....so you dont get behind on work....

Jul 2, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
Fry

...better 'n Maxwell

I actually prefer V-ray, more flexible than any of the physically based rendering programs. It can be super fast and still do an excellent job, or achieve equal quality to Maxwell and be slow. I can fiddle with my settings and get an excellent 5 minute rendering or bake a high res excellent quality image overnight.

Vue is tremendous, it's geared towards landscapes more than Arch Viz.

Jul 2, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I have to agree on Quality renderings that I have seen from VRay Renderings...They are Nice. I have never used the program, but I have seen great renderings com from it

Jul 2, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
RossM

They are from two completely different schools-Artlantis is biased(as is vray etc) whereas Maxwell is unbiased(real world settings...fstops, watts etc)...I use both-artlantis studio for animations and really quick renderings+Maxwell for stills....In my opinion artlantis is terrible-used it for two years and I used to sell it-its only useful if u dont have time or you want to make a long animation....Maxwell is really special though and the time you take to render is repaid by the quality of the image and the fact that there is no tinkering time(time wasted with artlantis) and you know it will render realistically!....this is just my oppion but if your doing just architecture renderings use maxwell!

Jul 2, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Tarheel_11

thanks everyone for the responses. I have a little more research to do but at least I have something to start with now.

Jul 2, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Maxwell its at a good price...I bought a Student priced version of Maxwell...Which is great......

So look into it.....

Jul 2, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

maxwell is really good.

i agree w/ rossM though slower than other renderers, you make up for the time w/ the multi-light capabilities. you just render and then tweak your lights rather than having to do a render then tweak the model and re-render over and over.

i've been getting a lot of great results from it.
interested in fry, but waiting for the demo to come out so i can pare it up against maxwell for a 1 to 1 comparison.

Jul 2, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

how long do people usually have to make quality renders? just curious, i am not one of the normal render'ers at work

but we use artlantis, and mainly because we need to turn around the renders in a day usually

just curious for those who render a lot at work, what sort of time table are you given for like high quality renders?

never used maxwell before, but have used 3dmax, which seems to get the most realistic once you know what you are doing

Jul 3, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
RossM

It can never be realistic because it cheats!-I use artlantis in work-usually a day to model and render is enough-will spend as long as I like on a mawellian render in college though.

Jul 3, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah i remember in college when i would spend days and days on a render and editing it forever in photoshop or whatever

i havent seen much of that in the workplace yet, though my work experience is limited, which is why i asked if there was much of it in an office setting

Jul 3, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

maxwell

but look at others like Indigo and Fry Render and Brazil and Vray and BMRT air if you can too

/me spoiled by the rhino world

Jul 3, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Rhino World......Can I get directions...

I am comming from Rhinovania which is right by the Rhinoverse

Jul 4, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
mental

the new mental ray that comes with max is all you need, it doesnt get any better...but vray is good too.

Jul 4, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
mental

"how long do people usually have to make quality renders? just curious, i am not one of the normal render'ers at work"

depends greatly on complexity of project.....but one day is not nearly enough for anything of good quality....unless you dont have to model it.

Jul 4, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I like Maxwell for its ease of use, and I'm trying to learn Vray, but its learning curve is very steep. Maxwell will get you excellent renderings with little learning time but it will take its sweet-ass time performing a rendering, if you have a low-light situation and high res you'll be taking days to render on your run-of-mill comp. Maxwell literraly renders for as long as you let it and the images follow an asymptotic quality curve. You'll notice a real difference in quality after say, 20 minutes but after that it fine-tunes until its "perfect" which can literraly take forever of course you can have something very passable after about 2hrs depending on rendering quality/lighting conditions.

Jul 5, 07 5:18 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

multi-lighting is sweet too

Jul 5, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh. combine maxwell with neat image to get rid of noise for those i-can't-wait-any-longer-for-my-damn-rendering moments.

Jul 6, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ya neat image is great too

Jul 6, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow! Neat Image is neat!

No, seriously!

Jul 6, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
nsproductions

If you're a PPC mac user Maxwell Render works alright. The following renders took 9 hrs a piece on 1.6 ghz Powermacs in my school's IT Lab. Models made and textured in SketchUp(with Maxwell Plugin).

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nshah/spatial/renders/1.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nshah/spatial/renders/2.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nshah/spatial/renders/3.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nshah/spatial/renders/4.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nshah/spatial/renders/5.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nshah/spatial/renders/6.jpg

Jul 30, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

How large are those renderings?

With Vray or Final Render you'd get those in a few minutes.

I admire the patience Maxwell user's have!

Jul 31, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I'd have to agree with trace. I'm a fan of Fry and the results of unbiased render engines, but they aren't much different than what's possible with vray and they take at least twice as long. All the bells and whistles that Fry is promoting and Maxwell is still trying to get are things that Vray has had for a long time.

Jul 31, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

there is always the get a better processor solution
with those new 1333mhz FSB 3Ghz quad intels out i am mighty tempted...

Jul 31, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

So what is under the hood of the machine your doing these renderings on? Thinking must be a powerful ass Computer...

Jul 31, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

got my hands on v-ray and giving a whirl this weekend. gonna do comparisons w/ similar models and textures to see how workflow goes...

Aug 1, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
grid

acfa - vray for 3ds max? know anyone that has it for rhino or maya?

vray is nice for quick renders, but i prefer maxwell for the good stuff...

Aug 1, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

got it for rhino. i don't do much 3ds modeling and want minimal invasion to my workflow so i'm testing it out just for a while since it's summer. ultimately it'll be a time:quality ratio that'll determine which way i decide to go.

Aug 1, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Orphan

Other, C4D

Aug 2, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: