Archinect
anchor

Bookends?

Hi!

I need some help finding good bookends...

wood or metal is fine,
clean, simple, minimal design preferred,
cheap as possible...especially because i need 6-8.

please advise.

if i can't find anything i may make my own by bending sheet metal...

...found these Eames classics on eBay, but there are only 2:

...these are pretty cool too, although not bookends:

via chiasso

any input, helpful or otherwise, is appreciated.

Thanks!
Aaron

Jul 1, 07 8:57 pm
vado retro

Jul 1, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

funny that you should ask, i just bought these this afternoon.

If you have your books on the right shelf, I really liked these ones too.

Jul 1, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I love those concealed shelves. I got a few at the container store (a little cheaper)...though I wonder if I could just use some sort of L-bracket.

Unfortunately, cool bookends never seem to be cheap (especially since I need a dozen or so).

These are from the container store and are simple but not that interesting.

from chiasso...but not cheap...

Jul 1, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya myriam, i checked out the ikea website earlier today, and the BJÄRNUM's would definitely do the trick, but you have to buy them in the store...not available online... and in nyc, going to ikea means taking a bus to new jersey...still an option, but i think i'd rather make my own that brave that trip again anytime soon (just went 2 weeks ago)...
the others won't work with my shelves...thanks though...

WTD - thanks for mentioning the container store. i forgot about them...there's one not far from where i live/work.

and i'm really not worried about the bookends being interesting, they just have to work with what i have.

Jul 1, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

*than brave that trip

Jul 1, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if there was an ikea here ap i would go get them for ya and mail them to ya. maybe someone who lives in the shadow of ikea will do that for ya.

Jul 1, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

good idea Vado...

AP, I work about 2 minutes from an IKEA. Email me if you want me to get you some and send them to you.

Jul 1, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
brandonatdesigncrack

I just saw this on Boing Boing...

Jul 2, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
standard economy model: $1.73

. there are other variations of these on amazon as well: bigger, stronger, etc.

nice, simple, but don't look super-strong.

along the same lines as brandon's above:

or:

and, since you allowed unhelpful commentary as well, this is the first thing i thought of when i saw the thread title:

Jul 2, 07 7:16 am  · 
 · 

can't beat that $1.73, really, though.

Jul 2, 07 7:17 am  · 
 · 

$0.90 nuff said

Jul 2, 07 8:10 am  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for the continued input...especially simon and garfunkel.

regarding the Standard Economy bookends, i hope to find something that doesn't have a 'return' ...as it is our books extend almost edge to edge, plus, i prefer the streamlined look of the simple L ...

those " " bookends are nice, but a bit pricey...

so, i'm going to try to make it to the container store today or tomorrow to check out some of their selection...if i don't buy something there, i'll most likely be taking you up on your very kind offer, WhatToDo. thanks (and by proxy vado for the idea).

Jul 2, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 

i use these two monsters turned on their sides for bookends... or just a pile of normal sized books on their sides...

Jul 2, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya, we've been using the makeshift pile-o-books bookends for a while now...but we've agreed it's time to have all the books vertically.

Jul 2, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I bought "Bookends" (the album w/ the poster inside the sleeve) for $1 at the thrift store at the town dump. I think that makes it the cheapest bookends listed so far.

Jul 2, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
KEG

AP, let me know and I'll swing by Ikea on my way home one day. I personally have about a dozen of the $0.90 number Q posted. They aren't beautiful, but pretty much disappear on the shelf.

Jul 2, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
AP

just sent you an email. thanks again!

Jul 5, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

me? no...

Jul 5, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

...yes.

delayed reaction.

Jul 5, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Steven, I was just coming to say I always think of S and G when I read the thread title. I must be cultured since I'm only 23-24.

Jul 5, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

AP- I just emailed you (I sent them off at lunchtime).

Jul 6, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

YEAH!

Jul 6, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

haha..Jazz hands!

Jul 6, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
justyell
www.mksdesign.com
Jul 7, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 
justyell

not cheap but really great.....look under house... solid steel cubes... check it

Jul 7, 07 8:08 am  · 
 · 
KEG

those are sick jy! I have some cheap plastic ones, but for the sides that can be seen I just use a piece of clear anodized aluminum brake metal and put VHB rubber tape on the bottom so they don't scratch my shelf or skid...

Jul 7, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i bet those solid steel cubes can also dual as a weapon in case of an intruder.

Jul 7, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
justyell

weapon and bookend... how can you even consider another?

Jul 7, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

i agree with architphil, nothing works better than other books!

Jul 7, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
justyell

so what happens when you need to use one of those books?

Jul 7, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

you mean you actually read the books? ;)

Jul 7, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

yeah, c'mon jy, now you're just getting ridiculous ;)

my "Great Painting of the Western World" and "The Impressionists and Their Legacy" volumes are 10lb monsters and serve as stops. And please, like I actually read them- I can barely lift them!!

Jul 7, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
justyell

so we are in agreement, these "books" are no longer functional books.... my point exactly...

Jul 7, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

this seemed as good a place to put this news as any: MY BOOKS ARE OUT AGAIN!!!

we moved into this house last august and, since then, most of my books have been packed in boxes waiting for their rooms to have floors refinished, walls painted, etc. today i got the shelves installed, unpacked the books, and put them all up. finally feels like home!

Jul 8, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

yay Steven! My books are always the first thing I unpack when I move. No matter how long it is before I finish unpacking everything else, I feel settled once they are on the shelves.

Jul 8, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

these aren't so bad either - and you can find them everywhere

Jul 8, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Say Hi to James the bookend.

Jul 8, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

they just arrived! thanks again WhatToDo!

Jul 9, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow you guys really made a "chinection". I do love this place so much.

Jul 9, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I'm assuming they are in one piece as they are stainless steel and I may have gone a little overboard with the bubble wrap ;)

glad I could help! Enjoy...

Jul 9, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: