Archinect
anchor

are ipods really worth it?

ElTomas

how long has your boss had it for? it may still be under warranty.. MAC tech support is the best bare none... that may help .. the thing with mac and pc today is that they each have their pros and cons.. each is a tool no diffrent than a pencil, pen, or prisma.. each for its due purpose...

Sep 10, 04 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

so i finally bought the 20gb ipod..but also bought the applecare....but its fucking expensive as most of you would know - 60$ for a 300$ piece of equipment seems a bit ridiculous -
i can go return it, since the box is unpacked - but what do you guys think, is the expensive applecare actually worth it, or should i not bother???

Sep 15, 04 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

i'll buy one immediately if they have color screen, i hate black and write.. just.. i cannot accept it
even cell phone have nice little screen, why not ipod?!

Sep 16, 04 12:26 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

FINALLY!!!!!!!!! thanks bubble.........those were my exact thoughts! IF Mac and Ipods are soo HOT why can't they even make them look at least like the latest cell/mobile phones? (the screen and interface Im talking about, not the exterior looks, which look aight!)

I would consider it since I am in the market right now for an MP3 player....Never heard of the IRiver, is it good? And have been hearing about this Sony MP3 player....is it actually going to rival the Ipod? ANy thoughts while I do some googling?????

Hey Marc, Im with ya. How you doing over there?

Sep 16, 04 1:29 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

squirrelly..

read my posts above and do yourself a favor, dont go for the iriver

though the sound quality is great, it plays radio, does real time mp3 recording, the interface sucks ass..organizing songs is a bitch. they say its a player for computer (read PC) nuts and if you like extreme control over your songs without software like itunes. And thats why i went for it. Their interface would not support wma (which was another big reason to go for it instead of ipod)...and they told me to download a piece of shit software, which in turn messed up the whole player

i have returned it and become a white earbud totting dude...but life is easier now !!!

Sep 17, 04 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

the sony player got me excited until i realized it uses the same software/rights protection as their minidisc players.

before i had my ipod, i had a couple minidisc players - which were great. too bad they didnt support uploads from the player. the new players do, but the only problem is that sony is still stuck on their atrac format so any song you want to put on their minidisc/harddrive/flash player has to be converted. which is a bitch. :(

Sep 17, 04 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

sameolddoctor,

its sad if you actually believe a mac can only do photoshop and vector works?
i've used a powerbook for years to crank out award-winning work -- from 3D computer models to cad-cam ready files to renderings to full portfolios (in addition to handling all my teaching presentation work, having over ten straight days of tunes and thousands of digital pics readily at hand)...

Sep 18, 04 12:26 am  · 
 · 
archconnect

Yeah the Sony Player (Network Walman Hd-1) is the best if it wasn't for the rights protection. It is smaller than the ipod, sleeker and it has a 30 hour battery life. DANG!

Do you guys find that the 12 hr batt life on the ipod is enough? Also, can you use the ipod while it is connected to the AC ADAPTER? (without screwing up the longevity of the battery).

But IRIVER is coming out with 2 new models that have color screens where u could view photos and such (seems rather extraneous on a mp3 player...but ok). In terms of functionality, the IRIVER seems to have the best balance. Longer than Ipod battery life, radio, voice recorder, drag/drop music management. On top of that, the new models that are not yet out in the USA (H340 and H320) look a lot better than its predecessors.

Sep 23, 04 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Jroc

Go with an Iriver or Creative, aside from compability issues you have to send Ipods in to have the battery changed. Sony is just too damn proprietary.

Sep 23, 04 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
archconnect

The new ipods got has up to 12 hrs batt life.

I got it to go 12:45 while testing

Oct 3, 04 3:57 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

So i decided to get one, now i just cant decide between the 40 gig and the 20 gig. does the ipod work that well as an external hard drive, or mass storage device for renderings and animations?

Oct 5, 04 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
French

I just got a phillips HDD 120. It sucks. Don't buy it.

Oct 6, 04 6:35 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I got a Creative Zen Touch 30 gb, and it works fabulous, though I can't compare it with an iPod, never had one... but i'll wait for a model with 60 gb and radio.. iPod, Creative or iRiver, I don't really mind.. though there's an iRiver with 40 gb and radio and with very good reviews on cnet.com..

Oct 6, 04 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I'd like an Ipod, but I can't justify the price. I've got a perfectly good minidisc player that has given me no problems in the last 2 years, and it gets like 30 hours of play with a AA battery. I can put 4 hours of music on a disc, and changing it isn't that big of a deal.

Plus, I just got back from a poor ass country where I hadn't even seen a walkman on the street for 3 months. The second I step out of the airport here I am surrounded by people wearing 300 dollar mp3 players. Having the latest in music portablility just doesn't seem all that important to me anymore.

Oct 7, 04 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: