Archinect
anchor

using AutoCAD in the office

robyn

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to participate in a little AutoCAD test by a potential employer to make sure that I am competent enough in the software.  I have no problem with that as I feel pretty confident in my autoCAD skills, however being a recent grad I do not have much direct experience working on AutoCAD drawings in an office.  

Any of you seasoned architects out there have advice for me?  is there anything I should know about setting up drawings in an office versus just doing school projects in AutoCAD?  Any industry standards, rules of thumb, etc I should know about?  I am pretty comfortable with CAD and have a good handle on the commands, etc, but I'd like to prepare myself.  I know these are all vague questions but I'd appreciate any tips!  

Oct 29, 12 1:54 pm
larslarson

if you know how to use Autocad you should be fine.  One thing you'll learn is that every office has their own standard...trying to prepare for that would be impossible.  They should teach you how they do things...some firms label and dimension in model space...some in paper space..some in the sheet file some in the xref etc. etc.  There's a ton of variables...but if you know how to work with all the commands it shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 29, 12 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

just make sure you know how to go back and forth in paper and model space and edit/setup sheet layouts that reference the view ports, do xrefs, and also layer manager and change line weights, etc. 

Oct 29, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

its be good to be comfortable with veiwport properties and annotative scales.  since every office is differenct its hard to know what to expect.  autocad has many ways to skin a cat

Oct 29, 12 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Be able to thoroughly understand DIM Styles and how to deal with X-refs - how to set up views with proper scale and how to plot

Oct 29, 12 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

xrefs, blocks, using the keyboard for EVERY command, and if you were using rhino, switching your settings to repeat the last action for every right click will help a ton in the first few months.

Oct 29, 12 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

It's expected that you should have your keyboard shortcuts already set up - "I don't want to see you searching the ribbon - you should know that - that's why I hired you" 

Oct 29, 12 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

hatches and line type scaling too, zoom extents

Oct 29, 12 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

FU F1

Oct 29, 12 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
robyn

Wow, thank you everyone for the helpful comments!

go back and forth in paper and model space - check

edit/setup sheet layouts that reference the view ports - will have to refresh

do xrefs - will have to refresh 

layer manager and change line weights - check

veiwport properties and annotative scales - check

thoroughly understand DIM Styles - check? not sure what "thoroughly" means 

how to set up views with proper scale and how to plot - check

using the keyboard for EVERY command - check, keyboard is my preferred method anyway since the icon placements change in every version of CAD (and yes, I have been using Rhino more in my recent years in school.  but many of the commands are the same in CAD, so I think that helps!)

hatches and line type scaling - check

larslarson, shuellmi - my issue with this AutoCAD test is what you hinted on, which is that there are many ways to do everything in CAD.  There are also different standards in every office and different ways of setting up sheetsets...it's difficult to know what to expect! 

One thing I'd like to ask everyone: when I took my first introductory AutoCAD class a few years ago I was taught to scale my drawings in model space, therefore needing to set up the drawing limits, and needing to scale everything else (lineweights, annotations, dimensions..) with the same scale factor.   Since then I have not used this method - I've found it easier to just draw 1:1 in model space and only scale drawings in paper space.  This might be an obvious questions, but which method is more prevalent in offices? 

Oct 30, 12 12:38 am  · 
 · 
tuna

no one has mention the interface. i'm sure you're current with the latest version but some companies still use older versions. although not much has changed, it can slow you down if you can't find a command. use the F1 help key when all else fails to fish what you need.

Oct 30, 12 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Marcou

Hello Friends,

To Toggle 'Ortho Mode' on and off in AutoCad; use the key 'F8' to toggle 'Ortho Mode' on and off.

Thanks and Regards,
Tony Marcou

Nov 1, 12 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

you should do fine, Robyn.  Having interned at a few firms during my undergrad, I always had to draw 1:1 on model space and set the scale on paper space depending on the requirements for plotting. 

Nov 3, 12 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Always draw 1:1 in model space, using the annotative scale to control your text, dimensions, etc... That is the method I've always used and what I've experienced in offices.

Now I'm at a place that uses ArchiCAD so I've had to learn a new software. Oddly enough they were pretty cool with me being up front and telling them I didn't have experience with it. 

Nov 3, 12 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: