Archinect
anchor

Venting...

silverlake

quite literally.

For all you 'flat-roofed modernists' out there; how do you, or do you even, vent the joist space (type V residential) on flat roofs especially at soffit overhangs. Moderate climate like socal...

Any feedback is mucho appreciated...

Jun 29, 07 1:18 pm
evilplatypus

poke 2 holes in it

Jun 29, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

silverlake

if you dont vent the roof, you are STUPID.

We drill holes in each joist every so often to allow for airflow between the joists. We then put vents under the soffits wherever possible. You can also use a foil-lined osb sheathing to help reduce the amount of heat build-up in the roof

Jun 29, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

just like a baked potato...

Jun 29, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

mdler, I know.

I got a builder tellin' me forgettaboutit because theres no attic...

Jun 29, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

silverlake

tell the builder to put that in writing and have them assure the client that he/she will take care of any roofing membrane de-lamination problems / mold issues in the roof

Jun 29, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
njp

don't listen to your builder on this one. if the roof is insulated, it must be vented. our building code calls for a min. 1-1/2" cross strapping above the joists to facilitate air flow. i like to use discreet continuous perimeter sofft venting, tucked into the wall/sofft intersection and then do additional venting at the edge of the soffit, using a more "designed" pattern of holes and bug screen (of course this all depends on your soffit material). if you have no overhangs, you can vent through the parapets, or use roof vents.

Jun 29, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

thanks for suggestions mdler and njp...

going to vent - looking to do it as inconspicuously as possible...

Jun 29, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

silverlake

you may as well accept the fact that you will see the vents and make them look pretty...better to have some vents on your building than a fucked up roofing system and a leaky building

Jun 29, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

you can use structural insulated panels (SIPS) or Corebond(TM) the entire assembly...

batts need vents

Jun 29, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Depends upon the assembly.

If you plan on drilling holes in the joists and you are using TJI's you will have a problem because hot air rises and will pocket above your drilled cross-vent holes causing condensation. We have done one of two things.

1. Use Icynene (or equal) insulation and fill the entire cavity so that there is no air to vent. Or,

2. Design your roof assembly so that the insulated panels are above your roof joists, effectively making the roof joists part of the conditioned space.

Jun 29, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: