Archinect
anchor

Working for Dept of Defence?

bowling_ball

I stumbled upon the job openings website for arch/construction-related jobs at the Dept of National Defence (Canada) tonight. Most of the openings are project management-related, but some others were for assistants and even CAD monkeys. The pay looks good and of course there's full benefits. They are even looking for consultants to help them in their sustainability program.

Anybody here ever work for the military doing design work? Or know somebody who has? I would have never thought of it.

Oh, and I don't want to turn this into a big flamewar about the ethics of such. I'm just curious.

Jun 29, 07 2:58 am
4arch

I haven't worked for the DoD but I worked for a firm that did projects for the DoD. I remember one time it was late in the Friday afternoon before a big deadline early the following week. At that point half the people in my office were working on the drawings to get them out on time. The officer in charge of the project at the DoD came to our studio and started pacing between cubicles, looking over people's shoulders as they drew, and sometimes even telling us what to do. It was a bit like having a drill sargeant. I don't know if that's what working for the military would be like.

Jun 29, 07 8:16 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

did you put any easter eggs on the drawings?

Jun 29, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dammson

you drunk?

Jun 29, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
cooper18

I just left a job w/ DND, well DCC anyway. The work was interesting, but the beuracracy drove me crazy. Project approvals over 1mill take at least a year... unless the gov't changes, and then everything takes longer. Lots of paperwork, a form for everything.

My old job is posted if anyone wants it... good people to work with, but you have to move to Alberta

Jun 29, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
cooper18

Bureaucracy

Jun 29, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's kind of what I imagined.... as well as the liability issues. I think that's one case where there had better be a form for everything!

Jun 29, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: