Archinect
anchor

Morphosis NYC office?

TorEckman

I saw this little blurb on curbed.com about Morphosis opening up an NYC office as soon as August. Has anyone heard anything about this in general or how they plan to staff the office?

Link to story:

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2007/06/26/curbedwire_closings_at_one_ten_3rd_mayne_to_nyc.php

Jun 28, 07 10:19 am
Living in Gin

Nice... "sophomoric diatribe of archinect"

Jun 28, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

they do have an office just off site in one of the cooper union buildings.
you can see all the sets through the windows on the first floor.

Jun 28, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Seriously, LIG....the guy is making a comment on an "article" that is based on hearsay and somehow archinect gets dragged through the mud in the process?

Also, can someone please explain to me why so much vitriol is directed towards Thom Mayne? I've heard stories about him in a critique setting, which weren't necessarily positive, but is he really a d-bag?

Jun 28, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 

I think it has to do with the fact that Mayne, through much of the 70s & 80s made his career being an antagonist - and its still reflected to this day. I've met folks who worked for him, saying how much they loved him but that he was a right asshole to anyone outside that process (sounds about right to me)

Jun 28, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
TorEckman

there's an actual "news" article where it mentions him opening a NYC office:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/21/features/architect.php

but still no mention of any of this on their website.

Benefits/drawbacks to opening an office without officially acknowledging it?

Jun 28, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Archinect will be publishing a feature interview between Orhan and Thom Mayne shortly. Stay tuned...

Jun 28, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

Tor

i don't think it's uncommon for a firm to not put themselves out there
when it comes to small satellite offices such as this. most likely they're
able to staff it from within as the people doing ca have either moved
out here for the project or are flying back and forth. and they probably
have friends/contacts in new york who they'd interview first..a firm like
morphosis is not hurting for applications.

as another example...alliedworks has an office here..i only found out
about it after walking past it one day. i haven't checked recently, but
they didn't have that office listed on their website when i was looking
at the time..made it difficult to find their phone number and such.

Jun 28, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am usually fond of antagonists.

Looking forward to the feature!

Jun 28, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

He ain't a d-bag... Very intense, strong personality but he's great to work for.

Jun 28, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

huh, I had him on a jury and thought he was great. The rest of the panel was guilty of douche-baggery, but not Thommy.

More Orhan interviews!

Jun 28, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That's good to hear because I've liked him since I saw him speak at my school years ago. I thought that he was remarkably smart and well-spoken but had a way of making the audience feel smart, too.

Jun 28, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

"douche-baggery"....That's just fantastic!

Jun 28, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

and he kinda' looks like steve jobs.

Jun 28, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

yes on nyc

Jun 28, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Go Orhan!

Jun 28, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

looking forward to that interview Orhan

Jun 28, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

don't insult steve jobs please. there is no comparison on any level.

Jun 28, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Do u think it'll be run the same way as the main office in l.a.? I've always been curious about when big starchitects open satellites if they maintain the same process and methodology and whatnot. From the whole OMA split, I read in one of Joshua Ramus's interviews, that he admitted the New York office was really different than the Rotterdam one. Essentially b/c w/o Rem's star presence, they couldn't make decisions merely based on the fact that "they liked it." Every decision needed to have a locktight argument.

Jun 29, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
TorEckman

i think it will be a little different from the Ramus/OMA split because there is still ostensibly one 'figure head' but with any long distance growth you run the risk of a doctrinal disaggregation. Sanofi, you've touched on what i was primarily interested in when i posted this inquiry: With firms structured around a singular creative force, is the desired architectural execution commensurate with direct physical interaction between the 'figure head' and its employees or can digital communication be an adequate substitute?

Jun 29, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

is good to have an interview about this guy... up to this date, i still not clear what their principles in design, seems like whatever is hot, u will see them follow.

Jun 29, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
brandonatdesigncrack

Redundant, sorry, but I know Cooper Union is building a Morphosis designed building. It would make sense that a couple of Morphosis employees would move out to NY to run a small office for a couple of years. The same thing happened with Herzog and De Meuron opened a San Francisco office for the DeYoung museum. I think they've closed down since the finish of the project. Sometimes they stay open, though if they secure a project or two during construction.

BTW, doesn't Thom Mayne look a bit like Jean Reno?

Separated at birth!

Jul 2, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 
dia

"don't insult steve jobs please. there is no comparison on any level."

Yawn.

Jul 2, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: