Archinect
anchor

Any Boston Landscape Architects on here?

coroa

Just recently finished my MLA, and am seeking work in the Boston/Providence area. Seems like the market is really tough. Any thoughts.

Jun 27, 07 10:33 am
treekiller

coroa- welcome! there are few LAs that grace the pages of archinect, so don't give up that easily. the few that I knew were in beantown have been shipped off to London or moved to the big apple.

Good luck with the job search- field Ops is hiring in NYC, so maybe you should head south.

congrats on the MLA- what school? risd, gsd or?

Jun 27, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
coroa

Thanks... the MLA has been a work in progress to say the least.

Graduated from ....UMASS

Relocating is not an option at the moment, which really sucks!

Jun 27, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

check out the public garden or the arboretum for a summer gig to tide things over until the fall when there is less competition for jobs. don't give up- finding a job takes persistence and luck - if you've only just started looking - the typical job search take about 3 months.

Jun 27, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
coroa

thx ohio_missive.... I've been on top of Joblink for some time now. I have already posted my resume on ASLA as well. I think I sometimes check joblink too much... A little OCD.

Jun 27, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

coroa- the AIA job board will occasionally have LA jobs too, check the local and national sites. the APA has more gov't and planning technocratic openings if you go that way (but UMASS doesn't seem like that sort of program).

It's worth trying to set up informational interviews with the various local offices that interest you. don't aim for the top, but find some UMass alumni that is at the project manager/associate level and drill them about what skills they like to hire, what their projects are, and what the potential for hiring will be. be friendly and persistent with following through- call every month (unless they ask you not too).

Jun 28, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
athenaeum

hey coroa - i'm an l.a. just moved to east coast from west coast - nyc though. i'm officially starting my job hunt tomorrow - seems like boston has more to choose from than nyc. best of luck.

Jun 28, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: