Archinect
anchor

What do you think about this one?...

Mayr

Sustainable Shopping Environment for Rural Commercial Centers. would that be a better research topic than the expo trade center stuff? What do you think,steven?

Jun 27, 07 8:58 am
won and done williams

hey, i haven't stepped onto the steven ward show, have i?

hit the lights, start the music...

Jun 27, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 

thank you thank you you're too kind.

Jun 27, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 

...and i don't know what i think. i'm still waiting to hear about ideas.

Jun 27, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

:)

Jun 27, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

This sounds like a reversal of the Urban Farm, where there is a little bit of the coutryside in the City and people bring their children to play with the animals.

I believe when it's the other way around it's called the Rural Slum.

"mummy, can I touch the junkie?"

However, I am interested in the topic. The firm I work for (consultants, not architects) does a lot of retail (and everything else) and there is an upswell of interest in sustainability. Some clients actioning Life Cycle Assessments.

What is your plan and where does it come from ?

Jun 27, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
KEG

does Mayr = Wall?

Jun 27, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

You score!

The often excellent informedesign (From University of Minnesota) newsletter drops this:

What Type of Retail Environment Do Small Towns Want?

Over the past decade retailing has changed dramatically. The entry into and growth of discount retailers in rural markets and the expansion of e-tailing (virtual stores) has affected the competitiveness of the rural market and the success of the independent
retailer. For example, Wal-Mart has more than 1,100 discount stores in the United States located primarily in rural
markets...

Jun 29, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Bringing Architecture to Flyover Country. I like it.

Lake|Flato actually take what they call "ranch-tech" and use it on urban architecture. They use a lot of farming and ranching solutions to create sustainable structures. Lots of shading structures and structural systems. You should look into some of their work. Unfortunately I doubt you've been to any of their lectures which do a far better job of explaining their precedents.

There's a lot of potential there if you're willing to do the research. Which part of the country are you in? Would this be a regional project, or more of an idea that could be translated anywhere?

Jun 29, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
grid

burn it down

Jun 29, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I believe Walmart is going green...

Jun 29, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: