Archinect
anchor

bring back liquor?

eastcoastarch03

I’m heading on a cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman in a day. Anyone have any good suggestions of some liquor to bring back? Also, how many bottles can be brought back into America? Thank you for any input.

Jun 22, 07 1:54 pm
xtbl

i think you can only bring back 2 liters of alcohol.

Jun 22, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

get some for me too.

Jun 22, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

three words for you:

1) rum.

2) light rum.

3) dark rum.

Jun 22, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

is the pain in the ass of bring back liquor really worth it??? I dont know. Is there a lot that you can get there that you cant here???

bring back some reefer, man

Jun 22, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Travel with a friend so you can bing back more. Seem like when we went to Brazil we brought back a full bag of bottles. Actually it is limited to two bottles....any size....per person.

Jun 22, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Avoid Appleton Estates.... that stuff tastes like rubbing alcohol.

Many liquors in the shops are sold in smaller sizes than a litre, so if there's lots you want to try, then maybe buy smaller bottles so that you can bring back a variety.

Jun 22, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

bring back some sticky icky...

Jun 22, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

We we're in the Carribean earlier this year and between by wife and I, we brought back 11 bottles. It's a lot cheaper was the only reason. And you can bring more, it just won't be duty free. But in our case Customs never even looked. I think it was 4 bottles duty free per person, and if you bought some of the local rum it was exempt.

Jun 22, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

yea you are allowed 2 litres of alcohol - in your hand. You can argue that you are also allowed another 2 litres in your bags. Of course I'm referring to what is allowed duty free. With duty you can bring back whatever you can carry.

I disagree with rationalist with the Appelton Estates, but that could be that I grew up on the stuff. The white rums from Jamaica are rather harsh as they are over proof (near 100% by volume) - which does the trick but takes a trained palette <- ie. great to get phished with.

They make several varieties of red rum. Estate Special is actually whiskey rated very smooth. Also an Appleton blue aged in champagne barrels...gorgeous taste to it.

Jun 22, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Or you can jump ship completely and get Myers - its a dark rum, used alot in the hotels. Nice flavour but none of the locals fancy it. Its fabulous for mixing because of the sweetness and the dark caramel colour. The also made a special 150 yr batch which is perfect neat.

Hope this helps,

Jun 22, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

ok, maybe just avoid the lower end of Appleton, the one that there's about a million bottles of in the Montego Bay airport giftshop. Maybe the higher end varieties are better?

I didn't try the overproof myself, but brought back some for friends who apparently got a professor impressively sloshed on it.

Jun 22, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

the appleton special (item seen everywhere) is well anything but special you are right.

Jun 22, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Jun 23, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

that's the appleton blue

Jun 23, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Bring back some Havana Club rum. Can't get that in the states.

Jun 23, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

compliments to ms. liberty bell...

Duty Free

There are some lines that cant be crossed
But sometimes those lines get lost
Should I stay or should I cross?
I was crippled
When you were faithful I was wasted

Do you need anything from duty free?
I gotta get out of this endless day
Do you need anything from duty free?
I gotta get out of the U.S.A.

Kickin in gifts to the trickers and treaters
Kill em with kindness and gifts for the needy
Brinkman and Lloyd's or I'll drink it from toilets
Sit on your glasses while your money gets moist
Hide all the luggage you better hide it from trouble
[these lyrics are found on ]http://www.songlyrics.com]
Smells like the '40s like Europe and rubble
The locals dont know you theyre the ones you want love from
Comforts or cots let me check yeah I got one

(Chorus)

If I could I would change my name
And get a girl and jump a plane
I overheard them say they want to rearrange their faces
And blow out their brains
I was strange while I was wasted

(Chorus)

Jun 23, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

well, just got back.

i brought back two bottles and had my sister carry two bottles

i got a bottle of the dark appleton estate rum and a bottle of this cream like liquor (like bailey's) that goes great with coffee. you have got to hand it to the jamaicans though, every shop i went into, i sampled numerous liquors. btw, down with red stripe, i can't believe they are proud of that beer.

the other two bottles ended up being absolut vodka, but i wasn't complaining because after four bottles of liquor, my wallet had only lessened by $39.

Jun 29, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: