Archinect
anchor

competition noob

goodtastingsteak

hi,

i just graduate from college w/a b.a. w/a maj in arch but will be working with the JET program for 1-3 yrs (teaching english in japan) and then resuming architecture with a job or grad school. i want to keep designing and working to keep my mind fresh (as well as produce new things for my portfolio) and one of my profs suggested entering competitions. my question is, how exactly does one begin? any helpful suggestions? should i just find one i'm interested in and go for it? thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 07 3:50 am
Chch

good question - I'm a pretty new to all this competition stuff, too. Any seasoned veterans out there fancy giving us a run down of thing like how long you devote to each competition (depending on how big it is)? Also, how often you enter as an individual and how often you seem to get a commendation or even a win?

Jun 22, 07 4:36 am  · 
 · 
a-f

I'm almost constantly doing competitions next to work, together with a friend. I'm very happy where I work, but competitions are a good way to keep my mind fresh during the more tedious parts of a project. We initially did quite small competitions, like idea competitions for single-family housing and small public spaces. The Netherlands has many of these, which unfortunately don't lead anywhere most of the time. We're now getting into larger and a bit more serious competitions, but it quickly becomes evident that there's just very little time left over to manage more complex tasks next to a full-time job.

Sooo... my recommendations would be

- start out with small, manageable competitions

- only do competitions with good jury members

- plan the process and don't let your competition work interfer with your professional life (I admit I could do better here...)

- see the competition also as a way to discover your own "style", whether it's presentation technique or theoretical approach

- don't give up!

Jun 22, 07 5:12 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

a-f has some good advice

i would add also,

dont expect to win, and dont do it for any prize money

if you approach it as something that can be a good portfolio building exercise, as well as a way to keep your mind fresh while doing the tedious parts of your job, you wont ever get disappointed or bitter when you dont win.
a lot of times, i see people react to the winners of a competition and complain how it was unfair and that their entry was better

Jun 22, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

On that last note. If you're not entering to win, don't pay to enter. Find competitions without entry fees, or very nominal entry fees. Sometimes competitions will release their documentation simply with an online registration, and then require a fee with your submission, which lets you decide if it's worth it to you to send it in. But if they're asking for $50 before you can access the brief, siteplans, etc., skip it.

Jun 22, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with guppy. To pay to view is downright criminal, but most of the competitions you find now will let you preview the brief and criteria without charge.

Jun 22, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

i'm a competition newbie myself. I've entered a few, and usually don't send anything when the due dates come out. I'm not sure why. Those I've entered and submitted I've been success (2no. 2nd place finishes) - so I'm not too sure what my problem is

Jun 22, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

What boonies did JET stick you in?

Jun 22, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
goodtastingsteak

fukuoka prefecture! and within that, iizuka. i think i got pretty lucky with my placement. :) thanks for all of the help everyone! if anyone has anything else, post it!

Jun 22, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: