Archinect
anchor

Scooter for sale in LA

R.A. Rudolph

Aprilia Scarabeo 150 scooter for sale - $2,500

Excellent condition, low mileage! only 1850 miles... very reliable, had its regular service at 650 miles and has never had any problems.

Fun & easy to drive, gets 55 mpg, easily rides 2 people. Big wheels make it safer than a vespa.

Comes with a helmet box on back, lock & cover.

We're only selling because we have a 1-1/2 year old daughter and don't have much chance to use it. We will be sad to part with it.

Would be great for commuting to school or around town - is highway legal as well. Easily goes 50/60 mph.

Here's a link to the model, ours is silver/gray color w/tan seat.

http://www.speed-sports.com/motorscooters/scooter_models/aprilia_scooters/scarabeo150.html

We're in the silverlake area - bring your helmet to check it out and drive it home!

email me at [email protected] if you're interested

Jun 22, 07 1:53 am

has wonderk bought her scooter yet?

Jun 22, 07 7:42 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thank you for thinking of me, Steven!

R.A. Rudolph.....I am intrigued. I will email you. Unfortunately I will not be able to purchase anything until I move out there in 6 weeks, however. Anyway, check your email.

Jun 22, 07 9:29 am  · 
 · 

is 55 mpg good for a scooter? I'm in intrigued too but i'm so bloody far away. Pity because its a very beautiful model.

wish you luck on the sale

Jun 22, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here in indianastan typically the scooter rider is a guy who has lost his driving privelidges. although here in indianapolistan there is a vespa club that tools around. there is some guy who rides by my place who has the world's loudest fucking scooter. you can hear him coming for a couple of miles. i assume he's ridin to alabama liquors up the street.

Jun 22, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

55mpg seems to be the actual mileage, though I think it says 65 in the official info. Think it's pretty good - the bike is basically an automatic motorcycle in terms of size (around 300 lbs).

Jun 22, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

wow that's pretty damn good

Jun 22, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my car gets 33mpg and its a car.

Jun 22, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Just out of curiosity:

Since L.A. is such a car-centric city, does anyone rider Vespas or scooters there?

Jun 27, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes. Bikes even! And some people - gasp - walk!

Jun 27, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

sanofiSYN- yep. I'm seeing an increasing number of them out over the past couple of months. This is probably a combination of the typical higher ridership in summer than winter, and gas prices encouraging people to pursue more efficient forms of transport. I tend to see about 8-10 scooters a day out and about.

Jun 27, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i ride a vespa!

Jun 28, 07 1:26 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Do you Vespa riders have a car, as well, or just solely rely on the scooter? I'm thinking of moving out to L.A. I've always wanted a Vespa, so am really considering it in lieu of a car. Only problem - what if it rains? Does it ever rain in sunny L.A.?

Jun 28, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That's what I'm doing.....ditching the car, buying a scooter. Hopefully this ^ one.

Los Angeles also has a public transportation system that many people fail to mention. My roommate is also going car-less, so perhaps we'll keep you updated on our experiment.

Jun 28, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

cool. let me know of any pitfalls. i definitely don't want to get a car if i don't have to. never liked driving all that much. i bike all the time here in the east coast, but i don't know how feasible that would be in los angeles.

Jun 28, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

sano, I've been living 90% car free in LA for the last month and a half, and I don't feel like it's put a dent in my life any. REally, the vast majority of the time I do use my car these days, it's only because I don't want the battery to drain out again from lack of use. Depending on where you live and where you work, it's totally possible to be car-free here, it just takes commitment.

Jun 28, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

there are typically three or four weeks of bad weather when riding a scooters will suck. not east coast/mid western/southern thunderstorm intense deluges, but steady heavy rains for a few days in a row and 40 degrees.

you can invest in a rain suit, buy a bus pass, rent a car, or join a car share for those days that are too cold and wet to be safe on two wheels.

few weeks ago test drove a smart fourtwo- fun little go-car(t). the official word is that the american version will get milage in the 'forties' pending official epa testing. So 55 mph is great for a gas powered vehicle. going turbo-diesel pushes the EU fourtwo to about 55mph , but a scooter sits just as many people and can ride circles around the smart car.

Jun 29, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 

...and doesn't require a standard parking space!

Jun 29, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This is true. Which brings up a question, specifically for scooter riders and rationalist, since you are my operative on the ground in LA currently....

Scooters just park on the sidewalks, right? Is this OK/legal? Perhaps I should invoke the almighty powers of the scooter gang....

Jun 29, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 

The most common way I see scooters parked is 2 or 3 to a regular parking space in a lot, or perpendicular to cars in street parking. But, I do see scooters and even full-sized motercycles parked on the sidewalk with some frequency, so I thiiiink it's legal, but I guess it might just be one of those laws that's not really enforced, because I see this more often on private property (shopping centers) than on public sidewalks.

Jun 29, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i used a motorcycle as my daily ride in LA for a few years. last year of grad school and couple years of working.
many things are possible with a cargo net except most home improvement projects.

motorcycles can't park (legally) on a sidewalk.

Jun 29, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

how do u prevent the scooter from getting stolen in a regular parking space if u don't chain it up and lock it down? i'm assuming it's not that hard to do.

Jun 29, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Maybe this question calls me out as a wimp, but:

do you feel safe riding a scooter, particularly in a car-centric city with belligerent drivers?

I'm seriously considering getting one, but I do have safety concerns. I've heard about the high incidence of motorcycle deaths -- I'm assuming that's because people go at high speeds on the freeway, rather than 30 mph on surface roads.

Jun 29, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

anyone (two people) can steal a motorcycle or scooter just by lifting it into the back of a truck. not much you can do about that aside form trying to chain it down. but seriously, a chain suitable to prevent that kind of theft will be mighty heavy.
i just used a disk lock on my front wheel that was bright orange, and was lucky i suppose.

personally, i wouldn't ride a scooter but opt for a motorcycle. all things being equal between the two, i like having the throttle as a another means of escape/avoidance.

there were times when i was glad to have the power to just get out of a potentially ugly situation.

farwest1,
1. wear a helmet.
2. take a motorcycle safety foundation course.
3. stay alert - no daydreaming.
4. always position yourself such that you have at least one escape route.
4a. never ride in the center of the lane because you're riding in the oil & grease streak.
5. position your bike/scooter such that your headlight is in the driver's side rear-view mirror of the car in front of you.
5a. periodically move from the left side of the lane to the right (makes you more noticeable as a moving image)
6. never stay with the flow of cars - always a bit faster or slower - always vary your speed a bit so you're making yourself more noticeable and less apt to be forgotten.
7. keep your cool - don't bother getting pissed off at drivers.
8. learn what counter-steering is and practice it. not so important with a small scooter but critical with a motorcycle when it comes time for a quick avoidance maneuver.

that'll take you a loooong way towards being safe.

Jun 29, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

safer...

Jun 29, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Back for sale again... will be posting on Craigslist but giving a heads up to archinectors.

Aug 16, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: