Archinect
anchor

how to integrate senses? any ideas ??

crystal1

can anyone give me ideas on how to integrate senses in the architecture design??how to find an interaction dialogue  between the building and the occupant through the integration of senses

Oct 23, 12 10:08 am
curtkram

roses.  they smell, they're colorful, they're tactile when you get stuck with a thorn.  you can probably eat them.  maybe with a red wine sauce.  maybe put a beehive next to the roses and there will be some buzzing sound for white noise.

Oct 23, 12 10:55 am  · 
 · 
crystal1

thanks for the reply :)

what i meant was how the occupants perceive and engage themselves through sensory design so the building can be effective in meeting the occupants needs

like as we can see that the architecture today is built and being sensed just through the Visual sense...I'm stuck in finding a Model to integrate the other 4 senses so the occupant can sense and feel the  experince of the space

Oct 23, 12 11:20 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

pretend you are the occupant.

Oct 23, 12 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Imagine the space.  Write a descriptive narrative of the space from the viewpoint of a fictional character! 

Oct 23, 12 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

tactile senses, such as "hot" or "cold," are often covered by the HVAC engineers.

smells are often covered by the custodial staff.  this could depend in large part on the use of the space.  for example, a bakery may not want to mask the smells incidental to their use.

taste is often not applicable to a building, but could be said to be covered by either cooking staff or custodial staff.  people tend to not lick walls.  i would consider the previous advice of imagining yourself as the occupant.  would you lick a wall?  or is it more likely you're moving through the space with intent to get somewhere or perform some sort of function?  while the concept of sensory architecture can be interesting or engaging, the practical applications can be limited.

sound could be pushed through a muzak system or perhaps flowing water in the form of a fountain or a wall fountain. 

Oct 23, 12 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

think of 'temperature' in terms of lighting

'touch' sense should correlate to materiality

depending on the function of the building, if a space is small, or larger and thus more resonant, you could explore auditory sense in these areas

don't bother with taste and smell in my opinion...

Oct 23, 12 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

Don't forget umami!

Yo!

Oct 23, 12 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

too easy..

how do you feel? hot, cold, wet, smooth, bumpy, rough etc

how do you hear? ears.. make something that arouse through sound.. splash, bang, drip,

how do you taste?  chocolate architecture perhaps?

how do you smell? plants, cut wood, rotton fish? 

apply them in your architecture

Oct 24, 12 3:04 am  · 
 · 
a-f

http://www.philipperahm.com/data/

Oct 24, 12 4:00 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

it seems you forgot to 'turn on' before dropping in and designing.

Oct 24, 12 4:34 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Instead of focusimg on the 5 senses what about the sense of intuition? The sense of knowing where the building entrance is when you arrive for instance. Finding the elevators, bathrooms too without relying on signs.

Oct 24, 12 9:06 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

just use signs for that

Oct 24, 12 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why?

Oct 24, 12 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
metal

Philip Rahm

seriously, he has some good lectures up.

Oct 24, 12 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
crystal1

thanks so much...

I'm asking you guys this because  I'm considering writing a  dissertation  oh how the sensory design can affect the occupant experience in the building? (sensorial exploration of space can evoke certain experiences...so it can shift our attention from the building to  the experience of it?

can give me any ideas,hints from where to begin..i would be very thankful 

Oct 25, 12 8:27 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

duh! That's my initial response to your thread and your statement that seems overly simple and obvious.  If you're going to write a dissertation on the topic then I'm assuming you've already been through a master's program. That means you should know how to formulate a thesis. You have no thesis in this thread or statement. Maybe you got through thesis and never really understood it?

One potential thesis could be, "while undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment, children diagnosed with Leukemia have a better chance of recovery by being housed in an environment that affords them 24 hour medical attention yet allows the children to FEEL the intimacy and protection that a home provides." you could then go on to discuss how your new childrens cancer center should be the prototype for all cancer centers and its more successful because of blah blah blah blah blah. 

Oct 25, 12 11:10 am  · 
 · 
crystal1

well...no im still studying my master's

...the fact that this is my first thesis !! and my general topic was about the experience of place through senses.. that's my problem i cant find a problem statement to start my thesis with 

Oct 25, 12 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, speaking of cancer, maybe Maggie's Centres would be a good place to start.  They definitely have an architectural pedigree and are intended to help patients feel better.

Yo!

Oct 25, 12 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Pallasmaa's writings ought to be helpful - particularly on Aalto's work.

Oct 25, 12 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

yeah.. i was going to recommend Pallasmaa... There was a book he did with Holl and Gomez back in the 90s... Questions of Perception... it's basic and pretty good

http://books.google.com/books/about/Questions_of_perception.html?id=r7gyAQAAIAAJ

Pallasma also wrote 'The Eyes of the Skin' which is interesting... I'd also probably start by looking at Zumthor's work a lot...Walter Pichler.

I did my thesis on something like this...an arts high school that tried to teach through the building... there were rooms set up to exclusively use one sense over there other... focusing mostly on touch, sight and hearing.  

I think you want to search for "phenomenological architecture" or phenomenology.

Oct 25, 12 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
crystal1

thanks so much 

Oct 26, 12 6:00 am  · 
 · 
crystal1

can anyone give me his/her  email so i can contact ? i just dont want to bother u all..i got an idea and i want your opinions ??

i would be very thankful

Oct 26, 12 6:27 am  · 
 · 
oe

Yeah phenomenology is a pretty decent place to start. I'd also suggest The Phenomenology of Perception by Merleau-Ponty.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Phenomenology_of_Perception.html?id=q3HwhfjRmswC

Oct 27, 12 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
oe

The first thing I would dispose with is the idea of "the five senses". This is a pop-psychology notion with little real bearing on physiology. The full scope of physical perception is vastly wider and more complex than that. What you're really studying isn't how "smell" or "hearing" effects design, but how your body physically interacts and integrates with the environment in the broader scope. Feedback from your eyes and arms and legs, the sense your inner organs feel when your momentum changes, the sense of your skin and eyes drying when humidity and temperature change are all critical to your physical sense of space. Also keep in mind that different senses are intertwined with each other. For instance there is an important interplay between feedback from your eyes and from your inner ear that construct a sense of movement and orientation, whether you are upright or laying down or falling off a cliff.  Your brain also has cells that fire when your head is turned to the left or right or strait ahead to remind yourself that walking or moving in a direction and facing in a direction are not necessarily the same thing, and are critical in way-finding. 

If you've got a professor that teaches environmental psychology I'm sure they could be an enormous help tracking down some good texts on the subject.

Oct 27, 12 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Id also take issue a bit with the idea that you should dispose of anything. Taste may seem a stretch unless you're doing edible landscapes or something, but the idea of how a kitchen or restaurant are organized are very much involved in where and how certain tastes are being felt. Smells also are hugely important. I've definitely considered the smell of unvarnished pine or teak in design choices. Zinc, copper, steel and concrete all have very distinct smells, and react differently to things like salt and moisture in different ways. Smell is so critical to memory and emotion, its actually one of the most effective ways to manipulate those senses through architecture. 

Oct 27, 12 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
crystal1

thanks Oe...much appreciated :-)

Oct 29, 12 8:32 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Pallasma, Steven Holl, Zumthor (Thinking Architecture, Atmospheres) etc

Phenomenology of Perception - Merleau Ponty ---- Is this book mainly about the visual aspect of senses?  I think most of the built work we have around us today are visual/graphic.. don't know how effective it is compared to other senses.

Oct 31, 12 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: