Archinect
anchor

Should I be embarrassed to apply for jobs with this portfolio?

cristina11614

Hi There, 

I don't want to sound like a downer but I am afraid I might embarrass myself/ waste my time and energy by applying for jobs that require a portfolio. So I am just seeing if anyone is able to give it the once over and send some feedback my way.

I left architecture school in 2011 with my bachelors of environmental design and decided not to pursue the M. Arch that you almost have to go for these days. Long story short, Its time I start actually applying for real jobs.

I love architecture but don't necessarily aspire to be an architect anymore. I am also very interested in construction management, the business end of things, and exhibit design. So if this really is just plain awful I need to know so I can focus my efforts in a different area/industry. Honesty is appreciated!! just keep in mind I am not aspiring to be the next  Zaha or anything and I am still pretty fresh out of school with no actual experience.  

Here is the link http://www.thinkbigdesignsmall.com

Thanks!

Oct 20, 12 7:45 pm

No, I don't think you would embarrass yourself, but you are missing some things. You aren't showing your entire skill set with the current portfolio. I didn't see any plans, only one section, and one detail, and there wasn't much to give me the idea of the concept behind each of the projects. I think by going with fewer projects, going more in-depth with those, work on your renderings a bit (or since you are thinking about the management side even getting rid of them and using model photos), and create a print version as well you should have some luck. 

Good luck with the search!

Oct 20, 12 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Agree w/ Josh. You have some cool projects, they are just poorly shown. I think "Community Centre," "Origami Installation," "Centre for Dance," and maybe "Eagle Family Pavilion" or "MOMA Bozeman" could be really compelling if you revamp the graphics and show more drawings & process diagrams. I recently have been redoing a lot of my own graphics for my portfolio & have found Alex Hogrefe's blog to be invaluable http://www.alexhogrefe.com/

Since most of your projects are in sketchup, you should have no problem replicating some of the effects he gets out of sketchup & photoshop. Also like Josh said, you need sections, plans, axos, etc. to explain what's going on. Good luck!

Oct 20, 12 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

You have waaayyy too many renderings and vignettes.  In the real workplace, you'll rarely be doing them.  Well drawn out plans, sections, elevations are a must for all your projects unless you're more interested in showing your rendering skills only.  Rather than showing each image as it is, why don't you combine plans, diagrams, some text, hand sketches etc so they tell a story, explain your project and your process.

Oct 21, 12 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Given

If you don't want to do the architecture side of architecture then why are you making a portfolio to apply for those kinds of jobs? Why would you throw yourself into one of the toughest job markets in the US right now on purpose when you don't even want to do it? Also I am not sure how many firms will take a non-professional degree holder (you cannot proceed towards licensure) when thousands of b.archs/m.archs are available. If you want to be an exhibit/product designer than you can apply for those jobs with an arch-centric portfolio I suppose. Most of those other things you want to do, you will not do as a junior designer at a firm. Really the "business" side of architecture is either financial/accounting (you need more schooling) or marketing/business development (done by marketing professionals or the actual principals of the firm). Sometimes large firms offer business development internships, so you could look around for that.  Construction management is a whole other thing... Maybe look into working for a large contractor not an arch. office if you want to do that, I really have no idea. What arch offices do in relation to construction management requires a lot more experience than you have, unless you just want to be a paper pusher for the guy doing the actual reviewing (you dont).

I agree with the above posters but Ill also just say that 90% of job listings and firms these days explicitly say they don't look at websites... (they want something they can scroll through fast or print to give to a senior person) so a pdf portfolio is more important. The website is always useful, so don't feel like you wasted time, but don't rely on it.

Oct 21, 12 9:49 am  · 
 · 
med.

Your work is really good.

I think your website is interesting.  I would just do a traditional hard copy portfolio.  The logo looks almost identical to SOM's logo just FYI

Oct 22, 12 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
DaveZ

yes

Oct 23, 12 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Stars + Stripes

I think you have a lot of potential, and, NO, I do not think you should feel embarrassed for the work you have produced.  Be proud of your work.  Anyone who just says yes without giving their remarkable design criticism is most likely not even an experience professional.

Oct 24, 12 11:03 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

just apply and let us know how it went... no reason for us to candy coat you.  Its a harsh world out there. 

Oct 24, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: