Archinect
anchor

RIBA Part 1 graduate seeking year out experience in the US

muhaumen

I was wondering if there is a similar position as a Part 1 Architectural Assistant for Part 1 Architect in the US. I have completed a 3 year Part 1 RIBA accredited BSc architecture degree. I am looking to do my year out in the US. Is the term Architect 1/Arch 1 posted on some job sites by american firms the same as a part 1 architect. Are the responsibilities and the level of understanding we need to have need to be the same or similar?

Thank you.

Oct 19, 12 6:57 pm

Ok in the US we have an all or nothing approach not the different levels.  So you need to have a Bachelors of Architecture 5 year undergraduate degree or a Master of Architecture.  Once you have 60-100 credit hours you can start your internship 5,600 hours each in specific task ranging from specifications to field measurements. Before you finish the internship often referred to as IDP Intern Development Program, you cannot be called an Architect you are an intern, or a junior architect, or some other variant.  Then you take a test and become Architect and you are not restricted in what you can do as long as you have a license in that state. 

www.ncarb.org

is very helpful in understanding this.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Oct 29, 12 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: