Archinect
anchor

AFH Auckland?

hobbitte

There will be an informal gathering on 4th of July for any Aucklanders out there who's interested!

Jun 17, 07 2:19 am
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

You're missing some details there, hobbitte. You know about pecha kucha on Wednesday, 8:20pm at Galatos?

Jun 17, 07 2:39 am  · 
 · 
philipb

Pecha Kucha, sounds interesting. How often are they done in wellington?

Jun 18, 07 7:38 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I'm not sure if they've started in Wellington yet, but this is the second one in AK.

Jun 18, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

I've certainly heard of it.. It sounds intriguing and I'll certainly be there tomorrow night! Thanks so much for the reminder!

As for AFH Auckland, I'm just spreading the word to see if there are any interests. Based on the numbers I will finalise the venue etc.

Jun 19, 07 5:27 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

This is the gist of what I've been circulating in the past few days:

Calling all creative minded humanitarians!

We are setting up the first chapter in Auckland for 'Architecture for Humanity'.
In short, it is a global design community which provide creative services locally in an endeavour to make a tangible difference while fostering creativity and active community involvement for designers (in its broadest term).

>Quote from AFH inserted here<

How it works:

Likeminded people meet on the first Wednesday night of the month in a cafe/bar. Everyone would put the cost of their first drink into a jar or kitty and these funds would go towards a project run by the chapter.

We are holding our first meeting on Wednesday 4th of July at 6:00pm, in Auckland CBD. The venue is yet to be finalised (depending on the expression of interest). This first meeting is to be an ice breaker.

RSVP if you are keen on getting involved, and please forward this on to someone who may be interested!

Love,

Hobbitte

Finally, I will leave you with some interesting links and what similar chapters across the world are doing:

Design Like You Give a Damn:
www.architectureforhumanity.org/designlikeyougiveadamn/
Some of the projects from above are featured in:
www.openarchitecturenetwork.org

Local groups
San Diego: www.afhsd-rebuild.org/
Austin: afhaustin.org/
New York: www.afhny.org/
London: www.afhuk.org/

Jun 19, 07 5:32 am  · 
 · 
dia

I cant make it tonight, but hopefully will at the next one...
Maybe we can make it an Auckland Archinector event..

Hobbitte, i might get in contact with you in the very near future to discuss a little project that I have got going on. Do you have any dealings with Tony Lanigan/Habitat for Humanity by any chance?

Jun 19, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

What a fabulous idea! I would love to get Auckland Archinectors together, although I don't know how many Aucklanders lurk around here.

I have been involved with the Habitat for Humanity although not directly with Tony Lanigan. I did have HFH on my mind because I know that Auckland affiliate has a few small projects on the boards - just need people like us to get it going!

agfa8x are you going tonight?

Jun 19, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I'm presenting!

Jun 19, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
dia

bugger

Jun 19, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Cool!

Jun 19, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

If you're who I think you are, you were my design tutor for Des 4!

Jun 19, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Cool. Make sure you say hi!

Jun 19, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Hey,

Good luck mate,

let us know how it goes. Disappointed I cant be there.

d.

Jun 20, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

I just found out Tony has much closer ties to me than I thought... what a small world!

Jun 20, 07 12:37 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Well, that was ok. It's actually a bit difficult. Didn't see you there hobbitte, but I left fairly promptly.

Jun 20, 07 6:44 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

I was there and thought you did just fabulously! I thought your presentation was very appropriate as a starter and set the level quite high for everyone else! It was great though, good mixture of people/theme/industry/emotions ...and stuffed animals.

I'm looking forward to the next one but I think it will be fairly difficult to top this one!

Jun 20, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Tell me more - are there photos/videos/other material available?

Jun 20, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron
http://www.ctrlshift07.com/home/

Nathaniel Corum will be representing AFH at the Ctrl Shift conference in Wellington in 10 days. Perhaps he can do a plug for the Auckland Chapter at the conference,.

Jun 21, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Great! It would be fabulous to meet him if he's going to pass through Auckland airport...

Cameron would you mind forwarding me his contact details?

Jun 21, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: