Archinect
anchor

Revit MEP Proficiency Test.

Matthew J. Mott

Hello good people of internet land!

Recently I had an interview with a large company for a Revit MEP drafting position. The interview went great and I would very much like to be a part of the company.

I am fluent with Revit Architecture having completed approximately 20 projects and logging over 1000 hours. While Revit Architecture and Revit MEP are different programs they are similar in many ways which is why I'm confident I could fill this position. 

They have asked me to come in to take a proficiency test to make sure that I can do what I say I can do.  My question is - Has anyone taken a Revit MEP test, if so how was it structured?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :D

Oct 19, 12 12:59 pm
zonker

I took a Revit structure test at an SE firm it was timed - I had 15minutes to create a connection assembly and produce the detail section views on a Hospital design -Sutter  Mills Penninsula

Oct 19, 12 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

The interface is similar and in 2013 it is all one program. REVIT MEP, however, is significantly different than architecture. In Revit MEP you create systems and circuits. Those processes take practice to do right. I would spend as much time as possible learning those aspects of it. Tutorials on autodesk and augi are a good place to start. 

I have not taken an MEP test, but I have created one. I imagine you would be tested on creating a simple HVAC system, a plumbing system and perhaps an electrical ciruit and panel board. I would not go into this test without practicing. 

Also, 1000 hours is less than half a year at full time employment. Did you really do 20 projects in 6 months? That seems like they were all really small projects or one of your numbers is wrong. 

Oct 19, 12 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew J. Mott

Hey guys.

My numbers are right I've got over 1000 hours with Revit Architecture which came from 4 years of college. The thing is that the program was Revit Architecture not Revit MEP.

This job is more specifically Revit MEP for electrical so do you thing the test is going to be drafting an electrical circuit and panel board, or would it be a little more in depth?

Oct 19, 12 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

20 projects in 1000 hrs, that is half a year so about 3 projects a week  =o  hahaha

Oct 19, 12 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

I might be in the same boat as Matthew.

How difficult would it be for an experience Revit architecture user to learn how to make this?

http://www.avanoservices.com/Portals/26741/images/2-24-2012%2010-49-47%20AM-resized-600.jpg

Oct 23, 12 1:45 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

you could probably learn how to do it in a week or two and then one-three months to be fluent at it. Guess it depends on how experienced you are. I would base the above on beginner to intermediate experience. 

Oct 23, 12 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Mott - did you take your test yet?

Oct 23, 12 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew J. Mott

@thakopian - That diagram would be peach and cake for me even tho I haven't used Revit MEP at all. Its really the same program but with different functions.

@wurdan freo - Yes I took the tests on Monday. I think your right and it really wouldn't take long at all to master the skills needed to do the job. 

The format was online multiple choice and true/false. One test of general Revit questions, and the other was specific to Revit MEP electrical. I failed both of the tests because I didn't know how to do the networked files, schedules, and a few other minor things. After the test we reviewed all the ones I got wrong and I actually learned a few pretty cool things that i didn't know before.  A lot of the questions on both tests i actually went back and started second guessing my first answers, and don't ya know it my first answers were right.

Even though I failed both tests I still might get the job because They say i should be able to learn everything I'd need to know.

Oct 24, 12 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

Mott,

As far as the job position goes did they expect you to have a limited knowledge of MEP systems? I have some but the employer is all MEP in my case. That being said I figure, same as you, I can learn the software quickly enough assuming they are willing to explain the systems and what is expected.

I guess it does make sense that they would expect you to know the basic systems of Revit and ask a few MEP specific ones. I usually forget they want to test for competence not wizardry for the drafters.

Oct 24, 12 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Hey all, 

I know it's a very old thread, but I think it's the right place to pose the question. Does any of you have any suggestions on good revit tutorials for beginners? If possible, I would like to learn revit on a satisfactory level as soon as possible, and I was wondering if any of you know any good learning method/videos/book etc.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 15, 13 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: