Archinect
anchor

toshiba m30

sanofiSYN

I spec'd this notebook PC out, and am planning on purchasing it tomorrow. It's perfect for me, except it only comes with a NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 graphics with 64MB DDR SDRAM. I know that's not nearly good enough for what I need - at least 128 MB. What's a good one to buy that is compatible with this model? Also, not too expensive, either.

Aug 22, 04 8:41 pm
Josh Russell

from what i know you can't replace the gfx on toshibas. i have a toshibia satellite and you can't upgrade. with alienwares i know you can.

Aug 22, 04 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
gog

I purchased one about two weeks ago.

They are on back order. My expected shipping date isn't until september 10th (I purchased online). Somewhat problematic because I am doing a semester abroad and I'm leaving on the 1st. But I'll figure it out.

As for the graphics card. I would prefer a 128, and NVIDIA doesn't have a reputation for having good graphics cards. But I'm not totally convinced that the graphics cards help all that much for what we do.

But I did a fair amount of research and there was no close second place.

Aug 22, 04 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Yeah, I'm going to be going out of the country for an extended time in September, so I wanted to get one b/f I leave.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be using yours for graphics and rendering too?

Aug 22, 04 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

gog maybe u should rephrase...nvidia doesn't have a reputation for having good cards for laptops

im swearing by their quadro FX line for pcs...and mark my words...they are going to leave ati in the dust in some years..someone visit their booth at siggraph??

god, im turnign out to be a nvidia salesman!

Aug 23, 04 4:33 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

I know there's not a customizable option on the NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 , but I could just buy a better one myself and change it, right? That simple? Where can I get a good deal on graphics cards?

Aug 24, 04 3:48 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Okay, here's another question. I'm going out of the country in one week but I still want to purchase the m30. On the Toshiba webpage, the option for customized orders is unavailable, probably b/c of the backorder problem gog mentioned. Well, I know Toshiba doesn't ship internationally, so I would probably have to order from the Toshiba site of the country I'm going to. Has anyone had experience doing this? Are the products the same, meaning I'd get the exact same m30 in this particular country that I'd get if ordering from the U.S.? Also, is it priced more expensive than if bought from the U.S. site? Appreciate any responses.

Oh, and another thing, I spec'd this model out with the max processer, hard drive, and memory. But while I was browsing online, I realized that it's so much cheaper to buy memory from an independent retailer. Even he exact same Kingston 512 DDR SDRAM that would be installed if I had this customized through Toshiba - roughly a 50% savings. I think I'll do that, and hope it'll be as relatively painless, as I've been told it is.

Aug 25, 04 3:26 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Shit, I'm asking a lot of questions, but I appreciate this forum for getting good feedback and answers. Does the M30 has a voltage converter? I'd hate to purchase one since they can be relatively expensive. Yeah yeah, I should just ask the people at Toshiba, but they take a LONG time getting back to me.

Aug 25, 04 3:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: