Archinect
anchor

foamcore joints

joe

what is the tool called that cuts the end of foamcore so you can cleanly butt it together without the foam showing?

I've seen them, but I dont know where to start. I'm trying to pick one up for the office.

Jun 14, 07 3:35 pm
FRO

it's called a rabbet cutter

Jun 14, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

ive seen a mat-board cutter, but never a foamcore cutter. i think i might have to buy one:

http://www.artstuff.net/rabbet_cutter.htm

Jun 14, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I thought someone had gone over the edge and was smoking foam core to get high.....whew!

Jun 14, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thanks guys.

Jun 14, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

no special tool required:

just measure the thickness of the foamcore and create your own joint - dont cut all the way through, peel away paper from one side + foam and glue your joint (but place glue on the foam on the inside corner of your cut and not the remaining paper, or it will be sloppy)

time per joint: 30 seconds

Jun 14, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

these joints work better on the black or off white foamcore with the paper backing. If you use the white stuff with the shiny surface, you have a greater chance on your blade slipping...also, the black or off white foam core tends to warp less

Jun 14, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
binary

foam core sucks.......

Jun 14, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

I'm with cln1 and b here keep it old school. no one really needs a rabbit cutter

Jun 14, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

you really shouldn't smoke that stuff.

Jun 15, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: