Archinect
anchor

Bachelor of Fine Arts in Architecture?

graphite

I am currently in school pursuing a Bachelor of Fine arts in architecture. After browsing the job finder I am seeing that many posts request people who have a B.arch. If I end up finishing my BFA in architecture and getting an M.arch will it be difficult for me to find a job with that combination of degrees?

Jun 13, 07 11:43 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

no.

Jun 13, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What school offers a bachelor of fine arts with a concentration in architecture? That seems like a bizarre combination, IMO.

Jun 14, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
graphite

Savannah college of art and design. well this is really about a larger problem, im a transfer student to their architecture program from a community college honors program and well, i feel out of place. the work that students seem to put out and their general approach toward architecture somewhat caught me off guard; so now im in the position of reasoning with myself about whether or not i should think about transferring after having just transfered. and looking for another design school to transfer to while trying to maintain a similar amount of debt. im really kind of scared about it. after having talked to my professor about my feelings of out of placeness, she said i should stay for the four years as it would be a good education however i should consider harvard for a graduate program and this caught me quite off guard. so essentially i feel like i am a more committed student in an environment of students who are not as serious. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Jun 14, 07 12:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Obviously I don't know much about your situation, but in my opinion transferring from a community college to SCAD is one thing, transferring from SCAD to a "real" architecture program is something else entirely, so I wouldn't worry about transferring twice. The longer you're in school, most likely, the more debt you'll incur. Is there a state school with a BArch you can transfer to?

Any SCAD students out here who can help duct? My knowledge of SCAD is limited, but I've not heard great things about it - the thing that sticks most in my head is that it's "an artist factory - just churns them out" and I can see where that would be discouraging for someone who wants to be surrounded by committed focused architecture students.

Jun 14, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
dangitsaaron

In the future, is graduating with a BS or BA in Architecture compared to graduating with a Bachcelors in Architecture going to make a significant difference when it comes to seeking a job? That's without the M.Arch.

Jun 14, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 

At first, it probably won't matter, at least as long as your BS or BA or BFA program is one that prepares you for the profession (well, as much as any of them do, but that's another topic) and leaves you with a decent portfolio. But later on when your peers who have B.Archs start to get licensed and you can't because you don't have an accredited degree (or you get licensed years later because you had to jump through extra hoops), then it will matter.

Jun 14, 07 1:40 am  · 
 · 
mdler

duct

where were you 2 weeks ago????

You could have hung out with the Mdler

Jun 14, 07 1:53 am  · 
 · 
cayne1

I don't know about the quality of the program, but you might check out MassArt in Boston. It's the only state school in the country that has just art / design only studies. You could live in Mass. for a year to get in state residency and go there for cheap. It's a 4 year program, so you would need a master's afterward to get a license.

Why not just go to a 5 year program that's accredited and finish up a full blown B.Arch?

Jun 14, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
graphite

well the scad degree is a bfa which leads to the march im pretty sure. and currently i had planned on staying for the march, because it is only one more year. however i should be a junior but im considered a beginning sophomore this coming year, so im a year behind and i cant imagine where'd id get stuck if i went and tried to transfer into a b.arch program or another architecture program. another thing, do people really look at your school instead of your work and your capabilities when applying for a job?

Jun 14, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
graphite

i mean am i doomed? will it be that difficult for me to find a job graduating from scad; i really did not want this to happen.

Jun 14, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 

you're not doomed... the BFA is just one of many different designations for a non-professional undergrad degree in architecture... mine is a Bachelor of Design in Architecture from UF... it just means that you'll need to get an M.Arch. in order to get licensed...

regarding scad... i've had mixed experiences... some people say that it is a great program... some people say that it sucks... i used to work with a scad grad who was pretty good...

Jun 14, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: