Archinect
anchor

Alternatives to Partitions and Movable Space

SuperBeatledud

Got a project brief that's going out today and I need pictures to describe what we would like to do as far having movable partitions and walls as well as movable displays in an office space. I find the standard partitions and movable glass walls to be rather boring and ugly, and I'm hoping to find some either a: exciting examples, or b: alternatives. Thoughts?

Jun 13, 07 5:40 am

check out holl's fukuoka housing for some hinged doors/partitions. i know there is a bunch of stuff out there, but it's usually very specific to the circumstance (if it's not the standard modernfold movable partition, that is).

these are actually the first things i thought of - from the image gallery recently:

http://www.archinect.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_8747_outside.jpg

http://www.archinect.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_ROTATEa.jpg

http://www.archinect.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_SLIDE.jpg

Jun 13, 07 7:07 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

lol, ok Steven, the first one was helpful while the next two just made me laugh out loud and everyone in the office look at me crazy.

Jun 13, 07 7:08 am  · 
 · 

i suppose you've tried to do a google image search for 'movable wall' and 'movable display panel'? lots of junk, but also some things that look potentially helpful, particularly under movable wall.

Jun 13, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

it's mostly crap...argh...

Jun 13, 07 7:12 am  · 
 · 

the art museum in reykjavik, instead of movable walls, just has great big doors that open one section of courtyard to another.

really beautiful, even/especially without the fancy photoshopping.

i'm kind of jumping all around the mark, though, not really knowing what you're up to.

Jun 13, 07 7:27 am  · 
 · 

how 'bout some random flickr searches?

for example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mljackson/401363384/in/photostream/
georgia tech library

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinkemble/381269277/
art labor gallery shanghai

too bad i can't find the pix, but a local architect here did a small gallery in which the wood display cabinetry was on central pivots. they could be rotated to any angle, could be aligned in a row, but could also be pivoted so that they all lined up to become one wall down the center of the space. really beautifully realized.

Jun 13, 07 7:37 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

thats sounds perfect...do u remember the architect or the gallery?

Jun 13, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 

the gallery was called artbeat, the architect was michael barry (teaches at the university of kentucky; has taught at cornell and mit over the last coupe of years) under his firm name arcumbra.

if you go so far as to contact michael himself, i seem to remember a great ceiling-removed isometric drawing of the space showing how the cabinetry worked. but i could be imagining that memory...

Jun 13, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
cln1

Schroder house?

Jun 13, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
njp
single speed design
Jun 13, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
KEG

did you look through mocoloco?

a couple interesting ideas

Jun 13, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
mdler

ask tumbles...she is having this dilema right now

Jun 13, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

get out your black turtleneck;)

Jun 13, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure you get a rug to pull the room together.

Jun 13, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

my mac checks everything that I type as I type...so whenever I am writing something in a web browser, or IM window, it underlines misspelled words. YAY MAC!

Jun 13, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
semi precious strands

i remember a project for an office that was inspired by library stacks, with a track system supporting desks/shelves that i liked. sorry i don't remember the architect. it is kind of what oma did in basement at the prada epicenter. i've also kind of always liked the big metal cages on overhead tracks in the prada project. it could be a good way to relieve stress! put your office mates in a cage!

Jun 13, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

just hang curtains everywhere, they can always move them when they need to

Jun 13, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I can't find any good pictures of it online but The Bohen Foundation in New York City by LOT-EK is pretty awesome. Its a renovation of a space for an art gallery and they used shipping containers that slide on rails allowing the user to reconfigure the space for displaying different art. Definitely the best use of shipping containers I have ever seen.

You can see picks at LOT-EK's website.

Jun 14, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

It was also in Architecural Record a few years ago but they don't have a very good picture of the space on there site.

Jun 14, 07 2:28 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Funny. I'm (probably) about to downsize from a house to a small apartment in the next 6 weeks. Part of that is going to entail sectioning off some study space, as well as another sewing space for my girlfriend.

So tonight, I was drawing up possible solutions. Thanks for everybody posting up links to such beautiful products and ideas. It seems that this issue is on a lot of peoples' minds lately.

I'm a fan of the ridiculously low-tech. I haven't decided on a solution yet, but I'm looking at essentially weaving some semi-rigid, semi-translucent sheets of material through vertical tension rods mounted between floor and cieling. They'll be able to be moved, removed, added on for more opacity, reconfigured for more or less light and shadows, etc.

Jun 14, 07 2:48 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Hey, great, thanks :D

Jun 14, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Oh wow, that's even better than I was imagining. I'm really impressed!

Is the rusty-looking panel actually rusted steel? My friends and I have been making some furniture out of rusty steel this year, and I quite like it. I've learned a thing or two along the way about preserving the look.

And the plastic - what is it, exactly? Acrylic? Polycarb?

Thanks for sharing.

Jun 20, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I know what you're talking about. Makes sense. In the version in my head, I was thinking something stiffer, but now I see the approach you took, and I like it a lot.

Again, thanks.

Jun 21, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
KEG

wow...what life that steel has! Tumbleweed, did you perpetuate the rusting process with chemicals...or was that natural? I'd love to see more pics of the structure/ construction if you have any.

Slantsix, as a frequent mover myself, the awesome thing about using a less rigid material is that it packs up and travels much easier (I'm sure you've thought of that). If the structure, which has substantially less surface area than the cladding, is rigid but can be disassembled, then the cladding/ filler, which is quit large (even if it's modular), can be rolled up or folding in order to move.

hmmm...*thinking* how should I "screen" my bed off from the rest of my studio apartment in Philly.

You know how they plaster high/ mid-rises with enormous ads (for ipods, cars, etc.)? I have always wanted to take a huge sheet of an old ad that has been taken off a building and suspend it floor to ceiling as a room divider. It is perforated and so the light and air quality would be great, but it would serve the purpose of visually obstructing my bed. At a human scale, in a room w/ 8' ceilings, it would become an indiscernible super graphic- a pixilated pattern of sorts- and could be quite beautiful. Plus, there’s the whole re-use factor I love.

Now, how to get it….

Jun 21, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

sbd

i designed these for an art school in vermont

Jun 21, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
publix

nice lars did you work for charlie rose?

Jun 21, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

yup...i should say that the design was his...i did the detailing
and then another person put it through shops..for proper crediting.

Jun 21, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
publix

you da best lars!

Jun 21, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
MadMavenNYC

Try looking at the iDivide alternative to traditional office partition walls.

Find them at   http://www.idividewalls.com

iDivide Designer Walls are a unique and dynamic alternative to standard office divider partitions and for home use room dividers to separate spaces. The flexible modular design enables the creation of a variety of configurations to suit any function.

Mar 29, 12 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: