Archinect
anchor

Serpentine Building in RIO???

brown666

Does anyone know who is the architect of that amazing serpentine building in Rio?
It's a long (250m) modernist public housing building on the hillside, a public level through the second floor gives it a beautifull section. Must be one of the brazilian modernists, but no niemeyer and no costa...

Jun 12, 07 10:39 pm
won and done williams

do you mean neimeyer's copan building in sao paulo?

Jun 12, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
brown666

no no, this one is not as high (6 levels) and longer, it's definetly not a niemeyer and it's definetly in Rio

Jun 12, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

I recently was there and saw what you are talking about. No one I was with had any clue either! Let us all know when you find out . . .

Jun 13, 07 7:48 am  · 
 · 
brown666

actually i knew it but it's gone... the building is amaaaaaazing

Jun 13, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 
snooker

brown can you post a pic and I can most likely find out who did the work.

Jun 13, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
simples

i think you are referring to Conjunto Habitaciona Pedregulho, by Affonso Eduardo Reidy

link below, in portuguese, pictures on the right side
http://www.vitruvius.com.br/arquitextos/arq040/arq040_03.asp

today...
http://www.fau.ufrj.br/vds2004/referencias/pedregulho.htm

Jun 13, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
simples
Jun 13, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Yep it is Reidy. According to my wife it is not a safe place to visit. He also designed the museum of modern art in Rio. It is a lot safer place to visit.

Jun 13, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
simples

SNOOKER...your wife is right... any "CoHab"s in brazil are a bit tricky to visit...especially if someone is speaking english and taking photographs with that new digital camera...

Jun 13, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Here is the museum

Jun 13, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
snooker
Jun 13, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
brown666

ok guys thank you, that's the one.
If you are interested in some pics I WAS visiting this place two years ago (yeah short time memory is not that good) they are just not online...

Jun 13, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
snooker

brown666 Hope you had a good body guard with you.

Jun 13, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
brown666
Jun 13, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
brown666

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1379/544356771_bd946dd6a9.jpg?v=0

There we go I specially got a flickr account for this one (finally posting pics)

As you see it's actually very peacefull, was there with sci_arc rio studio in 2005 so kind of bodyguarded ;-)

Jun 13, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
brown666

just learning...

Jun 13, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1379/544356771_bd946dd6a9.jpg?v=0
[/img]

Jun 13, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

You Romans have a good taste concerning these your image of just what could be build at a third way stronger, by digital -- Eh sorry without digital it seem only in these pictures , othervise I perfectly share admire for those period architects but Gee, what a shame they had no Digital tools at hand.

All of these can be restructured with 3D-H , 3D-H will then obtain a chain link to the future ,but also you can even renovated into new times, aranging every volume as a 3D-H framework just make these last tree times longer, and renovation will alway's be a gain plus maybe add new fine volumes to the castle, this way not a loss as with any oldfasion structural entity building core oposed sheets material as with these 3D-H; When these masterpieces was made in the 60 , the it still are your old bricks or cast works, no real digital innovative aproach there --- they are build with methods that need no computer and is often expensive ; What designers need are digital manufactoring adding wonders to the line of design qualities the best of what is already perfecly mastered but no new. --- No new aproach to the construct of things, how to assemble it at a third the cost, and yet make it stronger, nicer better in all degree. --- Today the only way is to construct a blueprint building core.

These 60' designs are top of already aincien architecture they are in method the cast concrete works of that time, -- wonders could also be done there - but not much room for digital there in fact, not the Digital manufactored building frame, that is not avaible at all ,and a load of nonsense are at complaints it's cast together not a unity assembled from ready made building compoments. --- How can that ever compare a cube frame assembly ? The new wonders under digital reputation is sadly the prove of Roman lack of architectural etics, and it didn't do and will not be the old volume technikes, that is reconstructing a shell of things that will build any form but no structure ; that is put in after and cost a mountain of money,and why , why becaurse it is the old building technikes , unless the intent of the computers, are to make it as difficult it can be as that is what came out of rewriting the accounting only.

Then I discovered from pictures here at this fora, that even the chinese nest building I thought was made from interchanable sections , pure sections by my horror, show fabric of beams that is indeed two way's curved , --- something that is Forbidden --- I alway's thought the individual stringers followed a perfect plane in that structure , they do not --- so you ar quite right, where to find ones hero ?
Romans.

Jun 13, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
simples

if you like brazilian modern architecture, from Phaidon:

http://www.phaidon.com/Default.aspx/Web/brazils-modern-architecture-9780714842929

Jun 13, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
brown666

do they pay you simples?

Jun 14, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
simples

No, they don't.
I was just suggesting the book as an additional resource; it was because of that book that I remembered Affonso Eduardo Reidy was the architect you were looking for in your initial post. Just trying to be helpful.

Additionally, that post was my attempt to bring the thread back to the original subject.

Ps. although i would love to work for phaidon press.

Jun 14, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
brown666

no offense. thanks simples

Jun 15, 07 5:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: