Archinect
anchor

how to use the smash tool in rhino?

hcnike

Hello!

I've got a 3D object which has been sliced and ready to be 'flattened' so that i can get each slice laser cut.

i was told the rhino 4 has a smash function which unrolls the slice into a 2D form, which saves ample of time in autocad rotating, etc. but i can only smash surfaces or polysurfaces. i've got curves tho...so how do i convert curves into surfaces or polysurfaces in rhino?

thanks
bonnie

Jun 11, 07 5:15 pm

first, i should apologize for an irrelevant 'idiot' comment.

sorry.

how to use the smash tool in rhino?
what the hell are we doing to the language?

Jun 11, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

otherwise, it sounds like a good, astute question and i hope you get helpful answers...

Jun 11, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

try projecting the curves onto a flat surface - remember, you can only project a curve "down" - Rhino thinks in gravity and projecting curves can only take place in one direction, down (in relation to the model area)...

Jun 11, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Jun 11, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Smoosh is good for no more than 1 or 2 tracks...

But the smash command is pretty useful and can also flatten curves ON a surface with no problem. There's also the unroll command which I think is a bit more accurate but neither one of them work well on doubly curved surfaces such as a sphere.

Steven, don't be such a noob

Jun 12, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

UnrollSrf

Jun 12, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

NetworkSrf, depends but i love that command, with history on

Jun 12, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

Anybody have any suggestions for unrolling a doubly curved surface? will expander do this?

Jul 12, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud
Jul 12, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

haha. this thread popped up and my first thought was 'what the hell are we doing to the language?' then i opened the thread. oh.

Jul 12, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

a proud noob.

Jul 12, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Jul 12, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

two-headed boy -

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/RhinoHomeLabs.html

get the advanced flattening plugin and see if that works for you. the problem occurs with non-developable surfaces typically but this is supposed to get around that. other than that you have to sort of intuitively learn what surfaces are developable or not and unrollsrf with explode off.

other than that, you can try pepakura for polyhedra.

Jul 12, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh and hcnike - don't project curved surfaces. you want to unroll them which might be done through the same tool above. the problem is how to roll them back into the shape you want. in that sense having a developable surface would be easier and you could see how it can be reconstructed

Jul 12, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: