Archinect
anchor

cool / contemporary european hotels (to stay in)

cn356

i am planning a trip to europe in the fall.. anyone have suggestions for cool / contemporary european hotels in one or more of the following cities? london, amsterdam, brussels, paris

i would ask for a 'reasonably' priced hotel, but i know that's not possible.. perhaps, i would be better served to ask for hotel suggestions that are simply 'feasible' by someone that isn't a multi-millionaire..

in any case, i would still be interested to hear of hotels worth seeing even if / when i end up in a more affordable hotel..

if anyone knows of a good resource (internet or otherwise) for finding out about european hotels (other than imported american chains), please let me know..

Jun 10, 07 11:08 pm
vado retro

stay in the cheapest place cuz you aren't supposed to be spending time in the hotel.

Jun 10, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

agree w/ vado to stay in the cheapest places...

the hostels in switzerland are better than a lot of 2 star hotels throughout europe.

baumschlager + eberle recently did a hotel for cube in savognin, CH

Jun 11, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 
a-f
Lloyd Hotel

, Amsterdam

Jun 11, 07 3:26 am  · 
 · 
stall-it

EastSleepDrink, Amsterdam

http://www.hotelmisc.com/

Jun 11, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I slept on a bench in the Zurich train station once

Jun 11, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
try here
Jun 11, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
cn356

thanks for all of the suggestions! keep them coming!

i'll definitely look into some of those hotels to help us decide where (countries / cities) we want to visit..

Jun 11, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Better than most hotels.. http://www.famoushostels.com/

Jun 12, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
n_
The Park Hotel

is in Austria. There are only three rooms:

Hotel Fox is in the lovely city of Copenhagen. Many different graphic designers, fashion designers, graffiti artists, architects, etc. were given a room to play with and create.

Hotel Puerta America is in Madrid. It's essentially the same concept as Hotel Fox except each floor is designed by a starchitect.

I don't think that these three will exactly qualify for 'reasonably' priced but you should go in and ask to see the rooms if your interested.

Jun 12, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i think i would feel uncomfortable sleeping in any room in hotel fox. they look like bad trips painted on to walls.

Jun 13, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 
n_

How about sleeping in concrete pipes?

Jun 13, 07 12:26 am  · 
 · 
cn356

alright, we've narrowed the trip (actually our honeymoon) down to a week in london.. i have found a number of nice (high-end / pricey) hotels that are quite nice and more contemporary, but i thought i'd ask specifically about london incase i missed a smaller, less ritzy place that doesn't pop up at the top of bookings.com and other sites..

if anyone knows of any cool / contemporary hotels in london that might be less heralded, let me know..

Jun 25, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

cn congrats on the wedding/honeymoon, I think it might be worth a great meal at a Gordon Ramsay restaurant, he is after all the 3 star kid (michelin star for chefs)

Jun 25, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

A must go..at some point in ones architectural life.

Winter is good..if you like skiing. The outdoor pools in the winter are very surreal.

http://www.therme-vals.ch/

sorry..not london..but something for the back of your mind one day.

Jun 26, 07 1:01 am  · 
 · 
French

So I was checking this Loisium hotel and spa on the design hotel website, and I was wandering if anybody here had more info about this one.
I'm particularly curious about the big facet precast concrete (?) building. Is it what it's made of? Or is it some sort of secondary structure with light panels and such, over a steel structure?

Jun 26, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: