Archinect
anchor

What would you do with 600 empty altoids tins?

guiggster

Long story short, there was a girl who lived in my apartment with an Altoids obsession. I'm left with five paper shopping bags packed with tins. Can't trash them. How should I use them?

Jun 10, 07 1:39 pm
binary

dominoes..

Jun 10, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
binary
http://redbullartofcanusa.com/

dope audio track also

Jun 10, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

sharps disposal boxes.

Jun 10, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I knew a pair of roommates in college who outfitted their entire ceiling with altoids tins, cheek by jowl--they somehow affixed the back of the tin to the ceiling, and left the lids hanging, so that when you looked in one direction you saw all red and when you looked in another you saw all silver and when you looked straight up you got this eye-popping 3d effect of depth. It was fantastic. They left virtually zero ceiling surface area uncovered, as I recall. Very cool.

Jun 10, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

they weren't artists or designers, either, which kind of made it better in my opinion. obviously creative peeps.

Jun 10, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wish my neighbors had such fresh breath!

Jun 10, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I hear they make great ipod and (very small) digital camera cases.

But unless you have 600 of either, that won't do you much good.

"an Altoids tin can be fashioned to be used as an emergency camping stove. They have also been used to create pinhole cameras, house small amateur radios, geocaches, MP3 players, cases for the Zen Micro, tobacco or marijuana smoking devices, iPod battery packs, and even Cmoy portable headphone amplifiers. Altoids tins can also be used as containers for small (and quite complete) mini survival kits."

Make speakers: http://readymademag.com/feature_12_macgyver.php

hit up google and you'll find a bunch of ideas.

Jun 10, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they are good for storing mints in. or your stash.

Jun 10, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Guiggster, you could send them to me, as I am starting my own Altoids can collection. I am addicted to the Choco/Cinnamints....

Jun 10, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
junkie

Sorry, don't know how to resize just yet =/

Jun 10, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
junkie

You can also make 600 survival kits!

Jun 10, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

my ex made jewelry out of them

Jun 11, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

trace, I tried that, but they end of hurting my earlobes.

Jun 11, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
semi precious strands

buy some magnets and make a sculpture! ala this favorite from my childhood.

Jun 11, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

apparently, you have 94 options.

are you short? because you can insert them into the soles of shoes to make yourself look taller.

Personally, I'd just recycle them.

Jun 11, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

ebay them

Jun 11, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

600 altoids cans on the wall, 600 altoids cans on the wall take one down pass it around 599 altoid cans on the wall

Jun 11, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ooh ooh...

600 more tins to document my fallen hair and shed skin...

tasty

Jun 11, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i got it

make a large xylophone.... fill each one up with just enough water and get some sticks....

thank me later and i get 65%

b

Jun 12, 07 12:48 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i would dump em in a river

Jun 12, 07 2:19 am  · 
 · 

i'd use them to draw attention to global warming.

Jun 12, 07 3:14 am  · 
 · 

please send 4 of them to me: my daughter can't reach the pedals on her new tricycle. i'll attach one to each of the tops of the pedals and, when it flips over because of the added load, i'll attach one to each of the now-tops of the pedals and then, i hope, she'll be able to reach. you will have made a two year old very happy.

or, hell, save the postage. i'll just use chunks 'o' 2x4.

Jun 12, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

give them away as promotional gifts from your firm "altoid architects"

Jun 12, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

fill them with pebbles and scam tourists into buying reduced price "black market breath mints" on street corners

Jun 12, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 

599 altoids cans on the wall, 599 altoids cans on the wall take one down pass it around 598 altoid cans on the wall

Jun 12, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

this is one of those things that is a delight to come across on craigslist!

Jun 12, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: