Archinect
anchor

Need an advice on this laptop..

jasmin

Hi,

I ll buy a new laptop and need your advice on this configuration. Will use Auto Cad..3dmax, sketch up etc..as an architect.
I appreciate if you comment..

The one I am thinking is:

Toshiba satellite A200 1BP...Intel core 2 duo..T7200 2 GHz, (4 MB L2 Cache 667 FSB) 2048 MB Ram(2x1024 MB) 160 GB (5400 RPM) SATA HDD..15.4'' Tru Brite WXGA TFT Screen, Nvisia GeForce Go 7300 256 MB ...

Thanks in advance..waiting for comments...Need to buy in a week since my computer is corrupted..

Jun 10, 07 1:20 pm
cpnorris

I don't know much about Toshiba but the specs on that machine seem pretty damn good. Should be solid for a while. How much money are they charging for that?

Jun 10, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Somnambulist

i would recommend getting an HDD with 7200 rpms.

Jun 10, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

"i would recommend getting an HDD with 7200 rpms."

I have seen a lot of people doing that. Whats the benefit really?

Jun 10, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Somnambulist

i first learned about this when i was building my computer for a home recording studio. I heard from several different sources that audio doesn't like to record at anything slower than 7200 rpms since it is a very labor intensive process and requires the faster spin rate to record with out hi-coughs. I ran this bit past my IT person at work and she concurred that programs that are fairly labor intensive, especially 3D modeling programs, will simply work smoother on an HDD that spins at a higher rate because basically spends less time finding free disk space. one thing you can do to help counter act a slower drive however is to get a video card with plenty of memory, but it looks like the above specs have that covered. but i would still recommend getting the 7200 rpm drive because a lot of times you'll be running CAD, Studio max, photoshop, etc. at the same time. all of our computers at work are supplied with 7200 rpm HDDs.

Jun 10, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Yes, from what I understand, when your hard disk spins faster, it spends less time retrieving information for you, so yes, less hiccups and annoying pauses, etc. If you're spending the cash on a new laptop, it's probably worth the extra few bucks.

Jun 10, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

well, other than the fact that you can record audio just fine on just about any speed HD produced in the last 10 years, I agree, 7200 rpm generally feels faster.

Jun 10, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

graphics card is kinda weak

Jun 10, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Jumping in with a question...
if one's only [Mac] options are:

160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm

Which is better? Faster spins, or higher capacity? And whwwwyyyahyayhawhy can't they make 250@7200 ?

Jun 10, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

the faster speed means it takes less time to retrieve information not that it has to do it less times. Slight shift there.

Jun 10, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
jasmin

Hi...ty for the replies...

"i would recommend getting an HDD with 7200 rpms."

I ll appreciate if you tell me the brand & the model of this laptop so that I ll check that directly..bec I am not really good on computers.

Jun 10, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Surfaces - definitely the smaller, faster HDD. If you ever need more space than 160GB, external HDD (for backing up data) are cheap nowadays. That leaves more space on the HDD on your computer, and thus, again, the computer spends less time retrieving data.

Jun 10, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

toshiba rocks!

Jun 10, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

the toshibas are good. Get a backup hD I've heard a few horror stories

Jun 10, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

7200 rpm has its downsides, too. Some of the cheaper ones tend to spin too fast and crack on laptops. I've had two go down like that. They're the way to go for desktops, but it depends how careful you are with your current laptop.

I'm sure the market is catching up and they've resolved this issue. I just have a bone to pick with Dell and Western Digital.

Jun 13, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: