Archinect
anchor

Rhino on Mac OS X coming soon!

cpnorris

"highway rip off if i can get a Toshiba that can do all that for 650-1000 and a tablet at that"

Jonas77 - Ok, unless you are buying hot merchandise I don't see how that is possible. Show me a Toshiba, or any laptop for that matter, with the same specs as a MBP that goes for anything even close to $650-1000.

I looked at the Toshiba website and the best laptop they make doesn't have equal spec to a MBP and its $100 more....

Jun 13, 07 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've learned to take anything Jonas77 says with a large grain of salt.

Jun 13, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

pricegrabber.com does

Living if you want clarification just ask i am more than happy to help you or any others. knowledge is power

Jun 13, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

So that site has cheap laptops, but still nothing that compares to a MBP. All the laptops in that $650-1000 are dated technology. Toshiba does not make an equivalent laptop and they certainly don't make a tablet that can compare to a MBP.

You can definitely get a laptop for under $1000 but you will have a hard time running any software with 512mb RAM and a 64mb video card....

Jun 13, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Lego Builder

if you guys really want a deal on a mac just get the refurb'ed ones. i bought a 2nd laptop this way and i havent had any problems at all. just make sure you get the extended warrenty on everything you buy, refurb'd or not.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=989AF434&node=home/specialdeals

Jun 14, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Since this thread was just brought back up I thought I'd point at that the Apple student discount is actually much better than just the $200 off. You also get 10% off any upgrades and the 3-year Apple Care is significantly cheaper as well.

I just got the 17" MBP with a Hi-Res screen ($100 extra but $90 for students) and a 7200 rpm hard drive ($150 extra but $135 for students) and I added a 3-year Apple Care ($350 extra but $240 for students). On top of that the sales tax they charged me was about half of what the tax rate is in Denver (roughly 8.5% but I only was charged 4%).....not sure why that is but I'm not gonna argue

Jun 14, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Sweet... Let us know how it works out. Will you also be doing the whole Boot Camp / Windoze thing?

Jun 14, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Yeah I am doing Bootcamp/Windows. Trying to find a friend with a copy of Windows XP Pro - SP2 at the moment. Computer should be here Monday.

Jun 14, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

your right about the specs but also to not is Rhino does not need a monster machine it could work fine on the weakest of systems. depending how complex or simple you work.

and i still prefer a tablet as my input devise.

pick TinyXP or Tiny2003 from eXPerience is my suggestion
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=qWE&q=eXPerience+tinyXP+torrent+rev&btnG=Search
20mb ram commit charge for windows is a lot better than any default bloat

Jun 14, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

are any of you guys beta testers? i was approved to be one and just downloaded it a few days ago. so far so good, not exactly stable yet, as technically its not even in "beta" yet, more like alpha. But its so great just to see it working on os x, really exciting.

Aug 15, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i am not but i saw it on display at siggraph and passed it onto my Apple friends.

Aug 15, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: