Archinect
anchor

Experience before ARE

What is the minimum amount of work experience you would recommend before beginning the ARE's? 

I have some summers of construction plus a few months after graduation, and about 8 months experience at my current firm. Not a lot of experience from school internships. I used to be pretty good at taking tests, back in high school at least....

I would like to knock the exams out all in a row, and finish them in less than a year-given I can pass them all. It's about to start raining in Seattle, and probably won't stop until July, so it would be a good time to get some books and coffee and start studying. Otherwise I'll probably wait a full year to start, because I'm not going to study when it's actually nice out.

Thoughts?

Oct 10, 12 7:52 pm
CrazyHouseCat

Your plan is totally doable.  I don’t believe you need much experience prior to  taking the tests.  IMO, the only test  that required more understanding beyond the study guide is Con Doc.  Unfortunately, most ppl take if first thinking they’ve drafted and that constitutes Construction Documents.  In reality, this test has a lot more to do with professional practice.  So get a good understanding of how contracts, construction phase, etc. work before you take this one.  The rest of the tests are mainly study guide based.

I finished my tests in 6 months (stared a few months out of school), and I’ve known someone who finished them in 3 months (the summer after graduation), all while working full time.  We both follow 2-week cycle for each test (while I had deadline and other life interruptions in between).  We both studied about 2-3 hours every week days and one full day the first weekend, then crammed the couple of days before the test.  The reason we did it fast is because we both lack good long term memory.  We also took the harder / longer test first (Structural, building-systems), and saved the easier ones (Schematic design, site design) for last.  The AREs is a marathon, you’ll get tired and lose steam towards the end, which is another reason for blasting through it.

Some people want to feel secure and well prepared before they feel comfortable taking the test.  I’m pretty sure me and my friend above pass each test (first go around) by somewhat narrow margins, but who’s to know and care, since we achieve the same end result with much less investment and sooner.  It all comes down to your tolerance for risk.  Arguments can be made that by studying longer and more thoroughly, you retain more knowledge which is absolutely true.  But I felt the knowledge gleaned from the studying for the AREs did’t ultimately contribute to my success as an architect all that much.

Be sure to check out the ARE forum.  Lots of good advices and tips, especially regarding the graphic vignettes.  Good luck.

Oct 12, 12 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

have you finished your IDP? if you have a minimal amount of work experience i am wondering, logistically, how you could take the ARE?

Oct 12, 12 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
brorstein

ARE can now be taken prior to completion of IDP, I believe.

Oct 12, 12 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

The IDP question is tricky each state has different rules, you have to finish IDP and pass the ARE before you can be a licensed architect. Some states require the completion of IDP before you can take the test.

Oct 12, 12 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks CHC. That's what I wanted to hear, kindof. There goes my winter.

Oct 13, 12 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

i'm still doing my undergrad and I am a slow learner... Would it help me to start preparing for the ARE right now?  Where can I get preparation materials?  or are the exam questions geared to test my thinking/problem solving/creativity skills at the heat of the moment?

Oct 14, 12 4:04 am  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

accesskb,

What you are learning in undergrad (structural, building systems, ie: mechanical, plumbing, fire protection, etc, history, professional practice...) all prepares you for the AREs.  Besides what you manage to retain in these classes, it's all about how much information from the study guides you manage to cram into your brain before your test day.

Trust me, the info are so dry, you WILL forget them in a matter of weeks.  IMO, these test do NOT focus on thinking/ problem solving / creativity, rather, it tests you on data recall, ability to follow instruction and comply with codes and regulations, GENERAL understanding of the professional and related disciplines, and some level of judgment. 

I wouldn't recommend studying for the AREs before you actually signed up for a specific test.  

Oct 15, 12 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

Not my personally recommendation, but requirements per NCARB (see lines 10, 11, 12):

http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-License/Registration-Board-Requirements.aspx?jurisid=79

Oct 16, 12 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: