Archinect
anchor

Job Post a Scam?

aphorismal

http://archinect.com/jobs/entry/58879616/junior-senior-architects-shanghai-beijing-shenzhen-10-000-40-000-rmb-per-month

Something about a firm called "Archibucks" strikes me as fishy...

Oct 8, 12 12:01 pm
aphorismal

Slogan: "We care your future"  I'm sure you do, I'm sure you do...

Oct 8, 12 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I will never, ever understand why global (presumably well-capitalized) companies based in Asia, seeking to do business in the US, won't pony up a few bucks to hire an English major (via the web) to proofread their material.

It baffles.

Oct 8, 12 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
aphorismal

Anybody have any input on this?  It actually seems like a pretty sweet deal, assuming its not total BS...

Oct 9, 12 2:04 am  · 
 · 

Sounds legit. The language is pretty much boilerplate for architecture headhunters in China. 10,000 to 40,000 rmb/month is a huge range ($19,000 - $76,000 per year), and the low end is most definitely not a sweet deal....

Oct 9, 12 5:47 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I'm sure it's legit but the cost of living can be vastly different in the three cities listed. 

Also, applicant pays for cost of visa...bu hao...

Oct 9, 12 11:40 am  · 
 · 
aphorismal

Evan and LITS,

While we're on the topic, what are some good ways outside of this that a Jr architect (1 yr experience) can get their foot in the door in China?  Do y'all know of any other good headhunters/employment agencies?

Oct 9, 12 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I know for a fact that Evan has spent more time in China than I have but I'm always happy to offer an opinion. I approach China from a Beijinger's perspective, I'm pretty sure Evan is in Shanghai.

How's your Mandarin? Is your portfolio amazing? Can you also code? 

The days of applying for jobs overseas with little experience and having the red carpet (no pun intended) rolled out for you are all but over unfortunately.

I started in Beijing right after the Olympics, if you were a foreigner who only knew autocad and sketchup you could talk your way into a fairly decent salary...even if you didn't speak a word of Mandarin.

Today, young foreign architects are not in high demand. I know several recent grads in Beijing who are struggling, bouncing from small firm to small firm and teaching English on the weeknights/weekends to get by. However, just like the salary range they mention above, I know several people who have stayed the course and have been quite successful in China, many of them are with larger international practices. 

What I've learned from my own recent job search in China is that you have to survive the first one to two years before you can really start to call the shots and earn a western salary. During that time you have to thrive under pressure, become more confident in your ability to communicate your intentions in Mandarin and learn to accept China for what it is because you cannot change it. I was dead-set on returning to China after my MArch but I have decided to stay in the US to finish IDP and exams. 

I don't mean to discourage you at all and I commend you for even thinking about moving there. And for all I know you could already be fluent in Mandarin, have an amazing portfolio and know all the desirable programs. Like any job search, having any kind of network in the place you're searching is your greatest asset. I don't have any experience with headhunters, I know archibat is everywhere but that's about it. There are some helpful threads on the forum about working in China that many of us have posted on. 

祝 你 好运!

Oct 9, 12 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
aphorismal

I think I can do okay in terms or portfolio quality, and I come from a programming background so coding is great.  The Mandarin seems like a barrier though...every job post I see has it listed as a requirement :(  Just out of curiosity, do you have the inside scoop on any foreign countries that are like China was 4-5 years ago?  Brazil or India maybe?  I know I'm really reaching here, but the ability to work on major civic/institutional projects and experiencing a new country really appeal to me.

Oct 10, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 

The perspective from Shanghai -

I don't know a single person who's gotten a job through a headhunter. Most of my friends here did what I did - applied to a handful of firms, did a few interviews (face-to-face or via Skype) and got a few job offers. Do your research: pick a city, find a firm whose work you like, and be prepared to position your own work in relation to that firm's strengths. Scripting/parametric skills are fast becoming a prerequisite around here. Chinese universities have been making a big push, and local graduates are highly-skilled. You'll also be competing with a huge number of Chinese grads who studied in the US, with a 'western' approach to design, and native Mandarin skills... As LITS says above, young foreign architects are not in *high* demand, but at least in Shanghai there are still plenty of jobs out there. My advice is to find a few firms you like and email them directly. Here's a good place to start: http://www.chinese-architects.com/en/

As for other countries - who knows? Keep an eye on Myanmar.... 

Oct 10, 12 1:52 am  · 
 · 
aphorismal

Evan,

Thank you for the input, that's really helpful!  I would definitely consider parametric/algorithmic work my "core competency," and have been dismayed by the lack of stateside firms that emphasize it, so your words are music to my ears.  Just out of curiosity, what kind of wage should I expect (~1 yr experience with a very innovative residential design firm), and what do you say is the "minimum" I should take to make the transfer worth my while?  I live in the Bay Area, so the cost of living in my current locale is very high.  Ideally, I'd like to save some money in China due to the cost of living disparity.

While I have you, a couple other concerns: how important is knowing/learning Mandarin?  Four years of high school French left me at the level of "bonjour," so I think I'd have trouble picking up the local language.  Also, what is the minimum amount of time one should plan on staying in China?  Thanks again for your helpful advice!

Oct 10, 12 3:49 am  · 
 · 

Email me.

Oct 10, 12 4:11 am  · 
 · 
aphorismal

Sent.

Oct 10, 12 5:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: