Archinect
anchor

Mac Networking Help (w/ Bootcamp)

I haven't really found any answers through googling, and I know that there are quite a few savvy mac-devotees here, so I thought that I'd see if anyone can help.

OK, so I finally made the switch to a mac. I bought a MacBook this week and have been slowly going through the process of getting Windows up and running on it's own bootcamp partition. The problem is that I can't get it to connect to my wireless network. My network is running WEP encryption and has an invisible name. I can get it to find the network, but it won't assign itself an IP address. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jun 1, 07 5:57 pm

Oh yeah, one more mac virgin question...

Is there a way to play multiple videos in one window of quicktime? like a playlist...

I installed windows media player for mac figuring that that would work, but it doesn't.

Thanks.

Jun 1, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

yep... bootcamp is done and window is up and running with the mac drivers installed... i just can't get on to the network while in windows mode...

Jun 1, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

No playlists in Quicktime, but in VLC you can do it.

Jun 1, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

we're in the exact same position. i just installed windows via bootcamp this weekend. i can connect to the internet with the wire just fine, but with wireless it says "acquiring network address" or something along those lines.

i would give apple a call.. do they handle bootcamp/windows problems? if you find out anything, let me know. i'll do the same.

Jun 2, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Rogue Agent

Have you tried other wireless networks besides your own? Have you tried an open network first? It may also be a difference in the way that Macs/PCs usually handle key/password info for wireless networks, although this is less common.

I use bootcamp regularly and have no issues connecting wirelessly.

Jun 3, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
dedubs

i have an odd setup. apple airport wireless router set up to a pc, with my mac able to get wireless, but not while in bootcamp. i am unable to connect to any other wireless networks. i wonder if there is some airport/bootcamp problem.

Jun 3, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for the responses so far...

agfa, VLC does exactly what i was looking to do for playlists...

it sounds like my problem is very similar to Danny's... i can connect just fine in mac mode... but in pc mode i can't acquire an ip address... i haven't tried connecting to another wireless network, but i couldn't even connect when i plugged directly into my cable modem, so i don't think that it will work...

Jun 4, 07 8:24 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

So whats the best way to format your hard drive if you are only using XP for modeling and rendering software - FAT32 or NTFS?

Jun 17, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

NTFS

Jun 17, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

by the way, are you guys using Bootcamp 1.3?

Jun 17, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Depends on how much space you need, if you think you need over 32 gbs (pretty likely) then NTFS is what you have to have. The tricky bit is XP won't be able to see the mac partition at all but OSX can read but not write to the NTFS partition.

Jun 17, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Yeah thats my problem.....I am using this comp in grad school and I know I'll be using windows apps for modeling and rendering, like Rhino, 3D Studio, etc. But I will use the OSX side for everything else so I need to be able to share between the two somehow. I'll have an external hard drive so the space isn't really that much of an issue I guess.....or maybe it still is I don't really know.

I know ntfs is better and and more secure and all that but what are the options if I need to share between OS's?

Jun 17, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

yeah bootcamp 1.3

Jun 17, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

you don't have to have 32gbs. right? my hard drive is 160. i'd for 50/50... I don't know about yours. why did u partition it for 32gbs for win xp? why not more?

Jun 17, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

you don't have to have 32gbs. right? my hard drive is 160. i'd for 50/50... I don't know about yours. why did u partition it for 32gbs for win xp? why not more?

Jun 17, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

i don't think anyone said they partitioned there drive to 32 GB.

There are basically 2 options here:

1. You partition your drive using NTFS format which is much more secure and can be partitioned at any size you want. The bad thing about this is that OSX can only read from this partition and can't write to it.

2. You partition your drive using FAT32, which is less secure and can't be any bigger than 32 GB. But OSX can read and write to it so you can use this partition to go back and forth between OSX and XP.

There is a bit more to it than that but that is essentially the difference. So I am just not sure which way to go. At some point I imagine I will need to be able to switch files back and forth and I don't know how to do that if the XP drive is NTFS format.

Jun 17, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

dddlll - I appreciate your responses but you either don't really know much about this or you are somehow misreading what i am writing. thanks anyways though

Jun 17, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Could someone tell if this would work:

I could format my XP partition with NTFS and then I can take an external hard drive and partition a portion of it as FAT 32 so that I can use that to switch files between OS's.....

Jun 17, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

i'd go for the misreading... as well as the don't know too much about it. anyway. Maybe you can get some serious help from http://forums.macrumors.com/

Jun 17, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

i'm curious about the outcome... would you mind to post your result? thanks

Jun 17, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

yeah no problem dddlll. it seems to me like having an external drive with a FAT32 partition might be the way to go (unless someone tells me otherwise) but it makes a lot of sense to me. That way you'd have a lot more freedom and security on your actual computer while having an area to transfer files from. I guess you could have a third partition on your computer but that might be a bit more complicated than it sounds.

Jun 17, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

cpnorris, with the external hard drive i'd probably got with FAT32 on both your mac and external drive... then you should be able to share among both operating systems...

also, an update on my dilemma with the networking... i've figured out what the problem is but i'm still working on actually fixing it... it is something with windows' adminstrative services... for some reason the DHCP client isn't starting... i think that i've found a fix online, but it requires messing with the registry, so i'm waiting until i have a good block a time to play with it...

Jun 18, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

architphil - Sorry I don't understand what you wrote.....So I should put Windows on a FAT32 partition and my external drive should also be FAT32. Is that what you are saying?

Jun 18, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

I think the external hard drive formatted to fat32 is an excellent swap idea, unless you have enough room to do 3 partitions (1 ntfs, 1 masos, 1 fat32 for swapping). You should be able to operate XP just fine with 15 to 20 gigs (assuming that data is stored elsewhere).

I don't know anything about the network issue. My guess would be that Windows and Airport are not playing nice. Maybe this will help? Seems there may be an issue if you are using 64bit encryption or if your XP is not upgraded to service pack 2.

Jun 18, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 

cpnorris... i would make your harddrive partition the largest that you can and still keep FAT32... just so that you have the ease of sharing between your mac and xp partitions...

i'm not sure that it matters how the external harddrive is formatted...

Jun 18, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I think I am gonna go with the FAT32 partition on an external drive and put windows on a NTFS partition on my laptop. That FAT32 partition on the external drive doesn't need to be very big at all as it will only be used as a temporary storage while going between OS's

I have read that FAT32 has problems with fragmenting and you also can't save a file larger than 4GB, not that I can imagine saving a file that large. But after I looking throught a lot of blogs about this most seem to think that FAT32 should be avoided if at all possible.

I have thought about a third partition on the laptop being FAT32 but after researching it a little it seems that its not really that easy to do, but it is always an option....

thanks for the input everyone

Jun 18, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
mental

cp, you could just email the files to yourself, i do that all the time, and you should also think about installing windows on a separate hard drive, so if anything happens to it you wont ruin your mac os.

Jun 18, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

mental - yeah that is a good point. so would you just run it from an external drive then? i don't plan on using the internet at all when on Windows so hopefully that cuts out a large portion of the potential problems of running XP.

Jun 18, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

been developing this software application for a couple of months now - would lovefeed back :)

www.designerpages.com/beta ; invitation code: shop

Sep 26, 07 2:53 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

so far the best solution i have found is to use Parallels Desktop rather than bootcamp. Once its going it runs perfectly from within the mac environment, which means you dont have to keep rebooting all the time, and file transfer is easy to set up- it also means that you wont have to partition the hard drive- so you get to use all of it at once.
It basically runs as a system in the background and then windows apps run as if they were mac apps. But it is nothing like the tragic rubbish that is virtual pc. I have done a fair amount of form z renders on it and it seems very fast.
It is meant to run programs at native speed.

If you are using specific windows programs a lot, it is a really good solution.

Sep 26, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

does anyone know how to "re-partition" the hard drive? i partitioned my hard drive a few months ago and loaded boot camp, but now i need more space on the windows side. any advice?

Sep 26, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I think the only way to re-partition a drive is to reformat, which would mean you'd have to totally reinstall everything (including going through bootcamp again) and you'd lose any data left on the drive

Sep 27, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

ugh, i had a feeling i was going to have to do that....

Sep 28, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

kalyani with the bootcamp assistant you can remove the windows partition and then start again from a solely os x disk and then give the windows side more space when you recreate it.

instructions can be found here:

[url=http://images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/pdf/Boot_Camp_Beta_Setup_Guide_v1.3.pdf]mac bootcamp guide[/http://images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/pdf/Boot_Camp_Beta_Setup_Guide_v1.3.pdf]

Sep 29, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: