Archinect
anchor

Should Architects Reproduce?

RqTecT

Ok another thought provoker by Stark.
When I was a Young and Broke Architect I was always thinking I
Was going to be laid off, not from a lack of talent mind you,
but for a lack of work. I thought how cruel it would be to bring a child into a World with No Job, No Money and No Health Ins.
Divorce rate for the normal population is 52% For Architects 68%.
Hell I'm a gambler myself; I have a one year old and one more on the way. It took me getting corporate job to find out there is more to life than doodling.
So is it fair for Architects to Reproduce?

Aug 19, 04 10:03 pm
abracadabra

i say no more..
http://www.bradyhour.com/contents.html

Aug 19, 04 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
A

#1, where can I get the stats on all the idiosyncrasies that architects possess?

#2, why the hell not procreate? The joy of my working day (when pumping cad) is to listen to tv audio of the Maury Povich show and the paternity tests. Seriously, I would say anyone posting to this forum is qualified to be a better parent, job or not, than anyone on that show.

No ill will towards those testing the 8th man trying to find the father of their child.

Aug 19, 04 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

lol

no architects shouldn't reproduce - we all went to school with the kid who's mom/dad/uncle was an architect and just how awful we thought them....say away from crack pls

Aug 20, 04 10:44 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

a professor of mine, who is married to an artist - architect/artist marriage had a baby.

the baby came out wearing big fat thick black glasses and a red scarf. dressed in black.

should architect reproduce? hell no.

Aug 20, 04 10:54 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

I HAVE WORKED WITH TWO ARCHITECTS WHO GOT MARRIED.
HE BECAME A CONTRACTOR, SHE NOW STAYS AT HOME.
THEY NOW HAVE TWO CHILDEREN. THEY SAID THEY COULD NEVER AFFORD TO BE ARCHITECTS AGAIN.
SAD FACT OF LIFE MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND.

Aug 20, 04 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Dan
www.populationconnection.org
Aug 20, 04 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

Your fears of bringing a child into the world with no job, money, or insurance is not unique to architects; nor is it unique to your own personal situation.

If you mean to suggest that architects are less capable parents than any others, I think you are completely misguided.

Dan, thanks for the link. Interesting.

Aug 20, 04 11:47 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

my plan is to have lots of childresn, hundreds, and teach them how to use cad at an early age. The way i figure i will have a whole army of cad pumping children that can pump out construction drawings by the thousands. thus i will have more money to have more children.
rinse and repeat
i will rule the world

so to answer the question, architects should only give birth to offspring if they are to use them to pump cad

Aug 20, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Architects are also on the top of the list for speeding tickets and traffic accidents. One of the reasons I'm yet to learn how to drive.

so If you see a rich white divorced male in a fender-bender with a traffic ticket stuck in the windshield of his audi TT - chances are he is a partner in a corporate design firm.

post-neorealcrapismist - I thought pumping CAD was how you made children, perhpas i should have that talk with my parents.

Aug 20, 04 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well, i really prefer the act of reproducing to the intended results

Aug 20, 04 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

cameron sinclear - you have to pump something to produce children, but i dont think it is cad. let me know what your parents say

Aug 20, 04 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I think the whole reality of having children makes work,life, future a lot more serious when children come into your life. Its not unique to Architects although anbody who is worried for there future employment will have the same concerns.

I know my experience having three children pushed me into starting my own firm. The thought of not being in a position to give my family a good, if not great upbringing and future pushed me to work harder and get off the fence.

Okay it scared the shit out of me and still gets me out of bed in the morning.
I'm less freaked out ten years later ,but it was a huge turning point in my life ( as it should be ) I was also the first of my buddies to have kids and that probably contributed to the shock of the whole thing.

After the first two kids you get used to it but a word of warning the third kid forces you into both a larger car and house. Ask anybody with three kids, the extra child forces you from a man on man strategy into a zone defence which is hectic.

Aug 20, 04 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Margine

Sure, sure, reproduce.
Its a lot of fun!
I remember what my mom used to say: If there is soup for two there is soup for three.

Aug 20, 04 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Pete

Unfortunately, I read Roger K Lewis’ book, “A candid guide to the profession” after having my first kid. Just check out page 31 "....don’t get marry or have kids to soon". He goes on stressing the important not to marry and have kids on page 268...."Marrying and having kids as an architect can be stressful for architects who work long hours and moderate compensation. And there is a lot to be said for marrying someone who is not an architect- ideally some capable of earning a living independently. Even better, marry some with money"

The whole book tells you what it takes to be an architect and it seems being an architect according to the author takes more commitment, intelligence, creativity, self-confidence, ambition, resilience, courage etc, than any other profession. If you lack just one of the 600 qualities, you can't become an architect. Being an astronaut doesn't even require so many qualities. But to say marriage and children are one of the things that would harm your career and would put you totally in the back seat seem to be a bit too much.

Aug 21, 04 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Margine

You are thinking too much into it.
Reproduction is simply a law of nature. In some sense it is your own immortality.

Aug 21, 04 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
elise

yes, get out there on the cutting edge, have a child, my husband and I are both architects and our son is so amazing, throw out the old thinking and apply all you've learned about new paradigms to your own life.

Aug 21, 04 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

STARK3D can you show me the source for the divorce rate difference?
i'd like to show this to girls when i meet them so they'll try to get in my pants.

thanks.

Aug 23, 04 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

i was serious

Aug 26, 04 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

I read it last year in a job magizine.
Lawyers had the most architects were 1% lower at 68%
rate most professionals have had two
So i don't know how they calculate that.
It did say the reason architects got divorced was the low pay an long hour

Aug 26, 04 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i think is the lack of time at home and w/family
(thats why seems easier to get involved with someone who shares the profession....that way u can find someone too who thinks ur bullsh** is interesting, lol)

Aug 26, 04 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: