Archinect
anchor

Lincoln Center

opaquebond

I'm interested in knowing what people are thinking about the Dil, Scof, + Renf project for the Lincoln center. How does it relate to some of the other recent projects that are being built in the city? Also, what do we think of the renderings plastered on the work fences?

May 31, 07 12:00 pm
mdler

post pics please

May 31, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
opaquebond
http://www.dillerscofidio.com/lincoln-center.html
May 31, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i rather like the project, but the renderings are pretty bad, especially the interior prespective and the perspective of the courtyard. it seems they used dozens of photoshopped people to cover up the fact that the actual space depicted is fairly banal. not to mention the scale of the people is all f-ed up. hang the people from their eyeballs. perspective 101.

May 31, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I saw Elizabeth Diller speak at the Center for Architecture on LaGuardia Place a couple of months ago. The talk was about music and architecture, and which influenced which.

She spoke a lot about their Alice Tully Hall renovation and the materials used there. I don't think the renerdings posted on the website really do it much justice. It sounds like it will be an amazing space.

All of the walls will be back-lit thin wood veneer. The whole place will "glow" like a lantern. Some of the images she showed were of full scale tests they did of the pannels. It gives of such a warm and cozy feeling. Should be a wonderful space.

May 31, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
montu

Tully hall will be remarkable:
http://www.3-form.com/architectural-case_studies.php?sid=8

The rest of the interior spaces will be hit and miss as the realities of construction in New York and budget unease take hold.
The exterior spaces will be perfect for what is required to integrate Lincoln center in the 24 hour life of the city.
a incision here…
a nudge there ..
a push this way
a pull that way..

Great urban theater.

May 31, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
mental

i question what it will look like in reality since the renderings are so conceptual.

May 31, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, they look very much like a student project.

May 31, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

The conspicuous perpective construction lines in images really bother me.

If they're still constructing perpectives by hand then theres a really stubborm refusal of the technological means available today.

If they're generating perpectives with the computer and then hand drawing over them to make them look like they weren't generated by a computer than its just pointless nostalgia to me (which I suspect is the case)...

May 31, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
opaquebond

wow.

the back lit wood stuff looks amazing.

Jun 1, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i will remain unimpressed until i see it built.

Jun 2, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Ditto silverlake's comment on the construction lines. Why do it? It just looks pretentious.

Jun 3, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, pretty horrible renderings. Looks like there was actual effort made to make them look bad.

Jun 4, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
postal

is it me or does the guy in the lower right corner look like he's walking and standing at the same time? something about him just looks funny...

oh right, we're supposed to be talking bout the project itself...

Jun 4, 07 1:49 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I agree with Apurimac: Show me something built, and then maybe I'll be impressed.

Jun 4, 07 2:05 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ack that dude on the right is scary.

apurimac -
their built work leaves A LOT to be desired.

the back lit wood panels from 3form are also MUY expensive, we looked into using them but yeah, quickly shot down when we started talking numbers - the flat panels were like 40% of the curved i think.

Jun 4, 07 2:41 am  · 
 · 
opaquebond

what is the impact of this building project on the city? (maybe little) fine then, does it have any effect on the architectural profession in the new york?

Jun 4, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: