Archinect
anchor

Wood

joe

Does anyone know if wood companies, or any vendors, that sell individual plys of wood? like plywood without being glued together and processed... I have a very organic shaped bookshelf I am planning on trying to make and am trying to find some sources for materials. I dont think the machines I have access to are big enough, or even capable, which was making me look for something readily availible. thanks for any help

Aug 19, 04 8:40 pm
sluggo

Bending poplar works well for making custom ply shapes. The bulk of the work (and material) can go into creating the jigs for holding the plies in formation while you watch the glue dry.

Aug 19, 04 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
sluggo

You should be able to find this at a quality lumber supply outlet (like Anderson Plywood if you're in LA).

Aug 19, 04 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
joe

well I'm just a ways away from anderson plywood, but I will try to call some local places in the morning. but as with most things in this town-nobody has it.
I'll make sure to mention bending poplar as well. thanks for the tip.

Aug 19, 04 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
A

go straight to the source. I've toured lumbermills before. Just tell them you are an architect or specifier and you are in. I'm sure if you ask for some scrap plys they would load you up with more than you need.

Problem is if you live in Arizona, or something like that you might have to travel quite some ways.

Aug 20, 04 12:05 am  · 
 · 
joe

I'm in Georgia, and dont really know if there are any plywood plants around here. I agree going strait to the source would be best also. Can anyone give me some brand names that they know of? thanks

Aug 20, 04 10:46 am  · 
 · 
A

I would assume that there is a healthy lumber industry in Georgia. I visited a plywood plant out in the pacific northwest but it wouldn't hurt to look around your area.
This link has a number of manufacturers of wood products. Worth a look.
http://www.4specs.com/s/06/06050.html

Aug 20, 04 11:06 am  · 
 · 
weave

joe, there is a place on hemphill (if you're in atlanta) between 10th and 14th...accross the street from jaqbo's...
i don't recall the name, but they will either sell or donate some vaneer that comes close to the dimension you refer to. we made a milled site model out of layers of birch vaneer that looked pretty cool...like real topography...
it might help if you say you're a student...

Aug 20, 04 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

Find a local cabinet maker, and they'll be able to tell you who to get in touch with. Veneers are available through a lot of mail order outlets - too many species to be able to recommend just one. Poplar is a species you might use for 'paint-grade' because it's relatively clean and stable, and easy to tool. Fruitwoods (like cherry, pearwood, etc.) look great, but are generally less stable, meaning they tend to twist and warp as they age.

The problem with ordering furniture grade veneers is that they are pretty thin. maybe some local woodworkers could re-saw some lumber for you?

Joe, do I remember that you're at SCAD? Someone there must be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Aug 20, 04 11:40 am  · 
 · 
joe

thanks for the help guys, I'll resume the search more on monday...

Aug 20, 04 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thanks a bunch, I'll check with them

Aug 23, 04 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: