Archinect
anchor

University of Virginia historical preservation?

Texag

I recently discussed with someone about different MArch programs I was interested in applying to, and when I brought up University of Virginia they mentioned that the program has a focus on historical preservation. I haven't anything about this through what research I could do through the internet about the school. And I was wondering if anybody could confirm or deny this,  or elaborate on what the program is like at University of Virginia. Form what I have read, they have a pretty decent graduate program. And I have looked at some of the student work and most of it looks pretty interesting. 

anyway, thoughts, comments?

Oct 4, 12 4:41 pm
Texag

yeah I saw that it was an option through the different degree programs, but I couldnt tell if that was a large part of the focus of the program in general (faculty, research, studios, resources, etc.), or if it was just another option for studenst to pursue.

Oct 4, 12 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

It looks like just an option you can try to qualify for, UVA program is already in touch with history and the importance of historical context I believe? I may be mistaken. I'm still trying to choose between UVA or VT as my main option down the road if I choose to get a masters. 

Oct 4, 12 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Texag

yeah Im in the application process for a MArch program, and Im trying to narrow down my list to around 5 or 6 schools. here is the list:

VT, UVA, Oregon, UW Seattle, Michigan, Washington State, UT Arlington, Texas A&M. 

The last two or three are ones that I will easily be able to get into (Texas A&M being my alma mater). The others, I am really interested in, but I am having trouble narrowing down. Virginia Tech is my favorite so far, just because their program focus fits my interests the best, as well as some additional factors. I was interested in UVA, but the more I research about it, the more it seems to have a defining focus on History, landscape, preservation, and not much focus on modern theory, design, innovation in materials and construction process, or (for lack of better diction) sustainable design. 

If you have any insight into the programs that I listed, their facilities, cost of living in the area, atmosphere, faculty, program focus/strength I would greatly appreciate it.

Oct 10, 12 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

I wouldn't make sustainability be a determining factor in the program, designing a sustainable building should be like designing a building that is ADA compliant, its something that should be inherently taken into consideration. Focus more on the networks and where you want to work first.

Oct 10, 12 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Texag

well its really not. I agree, "sustainable design" is something that should be automatically part of the design intentions of every building. But Im not really referring to LEED certification, but more so for a school where I will have a better opportunity to be involved in a community of research, innovation, development, and integration of materials construction process, etc that will not just make LESS of an impact on the environment, but an improvement.

But I digress, this isnt a defining factor for me, just an interest. Networking is something that is harder to research on the internet, so I will try other means. I know that each respective school will have best connections with the surrounding community, but aside from that I am for the most part in the dark. I assume that the reputation of the schools's academics may also have an effect.

Oct 12, 12 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I realize this is a late response:  UVA's design school includes arch history and a fair number of the faculty cross-teach.  The historic preservation includes both understanding/documenting historic work mainly through coursework in the arch his dept; as well as field opportunities during off-semester parts of the year.  Overall the faculty work closely together and there is an understanding of historic preservation as a living context within which new work is designed (vs conservation).

I can tell you UVA has strong networks in Boston/NYC/DC/Seattle/SF and in most large cities - alumni seem to scatter a lot.  

Apr 4, 13 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: