Archinect
anchor

british columbia

higherrise

doing a trip around AB/BC this summer, any recommendations of notable buildings to visit? We're starting in Alberta, camping along the parkway up to jasper and then head to Vancouver via BC (route not determined yet).

All suggestions welcomed.

Many Thanks.

May 29, 07 4:43 pm
PetePeterson

be sure to look for that new condo hi-rise in Vancouver

May 29, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I am taking this trip as well in two weeks. You may want to scroll down to the bottom and go to the search command and type Vancouver . I found some good information through some past threads about Vancouver and British Columbia.

I'm looking forward to seeing some work by Arthur Erickson and lounging around Victoria and Whistler.

May 29, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

higherise ..... you want to come down the yellow head highway from jasper to Kamloops ( or backtrack from Jasper to Lake Louise then golden and over Rogers Pass, and on to Kamloops that way, probably the more scenic drive, like driving into a beer commercial ) Kamloops to Vancouver is pretty boring down the main highway your better to drive from Kamloops to Cache Creek to Lillooet and on to Whistler via the Duffy lake road ( again very scenic mountain drive ) Whistler to Vancouver is along the ocean for a good part and a great way to see the islands off the coast and into Vancouver. The route I described is not to overly busy and has some great camping along the way and takes you along the old Yukon gold rush route , through diverse climate zones and spectacular mountain terrain. Gives you a good sense of what BC is all about.

Have fun.

May 30, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

While in Vancouver, must see Erickson's Waterfall building at the entrance of Granville Island. And Patkau's work at Emily Carr. Another Patkau house on Cornwall - can't remember the address. Battersby Howatts new bar on Davie (1811 or 1181?) But mostly, enjoy the cookie cutter masterplanned mundane tower podium 'neighborhoods' throughout the downtown core. They're stunning.............

May 31, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

If your going to see one building of Erickson's it is the Museum of Anthropology, but if you've got time try and find the Smith House in West Vancouver. Both pretty much define the west coast modernist's work, and for anti urbanism wander around Robson Square and the Vancouver Art Gallery.

May 31, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Don't forget to check out the Olympic count-down clock north of the VAG and the fake steam clock in Gastown! Architectural Masterpieces!

May 31, 07 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Some Erickson sights in Alberta and BC...

Lethbridge University, Alberta:

Simon Frasier University, Burnaby, BC:

Robson Square Law Courts, Vancouver, BC:

Museum of Anthropology, UBC, Vancouver:

The Waterfall Building, Vancouver:

MacMillan Bloedel Building, Vancouver:

Jun 1, 07 12:37 am  · 
 · 
bRink

There are also some nice modern houses by Erickson, but they're tougher to access...

Jun 1, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Just recently I was in Alberta. For all the construction goings on in Calgary these days I didn't see much to go out of your way for. The new Encana tower (Foster) hasn't yet started. However Denver Lite is a spectacle to see. All the construction reminds me of Berlin circa 1998. Not to the same scale, but if you remember Calgary in the 1980's this is impressive.

In the parks you've gotta stop and see the great lodges built by the CN. Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise are stunning. Although on an Architect's salary you'd never be able to afford it as a guest. Nevertheless, go in and have a drink. Be sure to at least drive up to Lake Minnewanka in Banff. If you are into scuba there is a flooded city under the lake. Good hiking trails around there too. And no trip through Banff/Jasper is complete without a trip to the hot springs.

Also, if in the south, Waterton Park is quite impressive as well. Another big lodge on a lake worth seeing. Along route 3 in southern Alberta is the abandoned town of Frank where a slide covered it in early 1900's. Worth stopping by. Also along #3 over in BC is a little town called Fernie where they brew up some pretty decent beer. Beats a Kokanee.

Jun 1, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Also, when I was there a month ago, Robson Square was still undergoing a rather large landscape restoration project so it looks even less impressive in person.

And holy Moses are those some old pictures of Vancouver... Yikes!

Jun 1, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: