Archinect
anchor

Beam, column and attachment hardware - seeking advice

gnoto

Hello,

I am working on the design for remodel of a structure to be configured as a loft.   I have configured a support system such that 5-1/4" x 6" glulam beams will carry the load of the roof and loft floor.  Loads on columns would not exceed the capacity of a  4"x4".   Load on columns will be carried to concrete pads.  Beams will be supported by columns at both the ends and at points in-between.  

I have very limited experience.

I would appreciate suggestions on what may be considered for columns (glulam, solid timber, pipes, etc.), and how they may attached to the beams and the concrete pad (hardware, technique, etc.)

I would like to consider load capacity, aesthetics, practicality, ease in acquisition of hardware, ease in installation.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 12 10:11 pm
miesian

Sounds to me like you need to hire an architect.

Oct 1, 12 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
gnoto

Thanks for your comment.  

To further clarify - I am working with an engineer that will review and validate the plans I provide.   If there is something in the design that he does not feel is appropriate, I would be informed. 

My goal is to attempt to provide a design complete in the considerations I listed.  I will be conducting the construction, and living in the structure thereafter, and therefore would like to evaluate as many options as possible.  I have put forth this challenge to myself for personal accomplishment.  Furthermore, in working with a single architect, I may be limited to his/her individual preferences.

I would be very happy to know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 12 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

are you talking about these?

that's a strange glulam beam, almost square.. are you sure about the size of 5-1/4" x 6" beams? how did you come up with all those sizes. 4x4 posts seems to be okay.

ask engineer to size the lumber and specify the ties. don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. 

Oct 2, 12 1:48 am  · 
 · 
gnoto

Hi Orhan,

Sorry I meant to type in 5-1/8" x 6".   Code requires that the beam should not project more than 6" below the required ceiling height and we are already right at the 7' limit for the space above the loft. 

Though familiar with it I may have miss-applied the method of calculation of loads and sizing of the beams.   My reference shows the 5-1/8" x 6" glulam to carry a bending moment capacity of 6150 for a span of 11',  and I calcuate less than 5000 for each beam being less than 11' long.   I also see that we are will within the deflection limits.

There is one longer span across the open space supporing the roof where the ceiling limit does not apply.  That longer span does require a larger 5-1/8" x 7-1/2" glulam.

The engineer has the calc and is going to verify the numbers.

I would be very happy to know that I ran the numbers correctly.  I have them in a spread sheet in which the components listed there match lables of columns and beam spans shown in the framing plan diagrams. 

Thanks!

Oct 2, 12 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: