Archinect
anchor

I know nothing about heavy wood timbers

Thecyclist

I designed a bench with the intention of using heavy wood timbers, concrete, steel bolts, and steel tube spacers.  The problem is, I do not have much knowledge of heavy wood timbers.  I'm referring to the pricing, availability, and which woods are best.

The concrete is relatively thin and cannot crack, so I chose to support and brace the concrete with wood timbers.  

I just have a couple of questions...

**These timbers are 8" x 7", and I can cut down a 15' timber to get all three pieces**

1.   Which type of wood is best for this application?  This bench is sitting outside, on earth, but the timbers are not touching the ground.

2.  Based on the type of wood, how much would I expect to spend on the wood alone?

3.  When looking at heavy timbers, which type of wood in generally cheapest?

4.  Could using reclaimed wood be an option?  Is it hard to find?  Is it cheaper or more expensive?

I know I'm asking a lot.  If you can only answer one of these questions, it would be help.

Oct 1, 12 9:12 pm
-____0

You might want to try posting here: reddit.com/r/woodworking. There are a few people there with experience in heavy timbers.

Brooklyn Bridge Park benches by MVVA might be a good example. 

>The density and resin of the old growth southern yellow pine gave it the tensile strength that allowed for long spans and the durability suitable for outdoor use.  Hector knew that southern yellow pine had been used for centuries in the boat building community and started talking with them about the best way to use the material.  MFine did the dirty work of extracting the nails and preparing it for milling.  Hector then worked with fabricators and MVVA to test different options and figure out the ideal profile for the bench planks in order to minimize waste and provide maximum durability and beauty.  Each piece was milled and cut to vertical grain so that water and sunlight would not cause rotting and splintering in the planks over time.  Vertical grain and quarter-sawn timers are important to consider in working with any wood, but according to Hector it is critical in determining the longevity of southern yellow pine because of the high amounts of resin it contains.  

I'm not sure about the wood and concrete. The end grain of the timber shouldn't make contact with the upper slab of concrete slab. Maybe there's some kind of steel plate or gap in there that we can't see?

Oct 1, 12 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
miesian

That Brooklyn bench is pretty sweet. I don't have much experience with heavy timber myself. For what its worth, when I start working with materials I'm not too familiar with, I just try to get my hands on a bunch of different pieces and start playing with them and doing as many mock-ups as I can. I also like to go to local vendors / shops who specialize in that material and ask them specific questions. They can help a lot, and as a bonus you could get some scraps / used material for free that you can play around with.

You should also consider how it's going to age if it's outside. Most wood will turn grey in less than a year in the sun. May not be a problem, but something to consider if you haven't already.

Oct 2, 12 1:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: