Archinect
anchor

Architecure to Construction

arclem

Has anyone out there given up being a cadmonkey for a while and gone to work for a construction company to learn how to build what we draw? Any comments or advice. I think ultimately I would like to do design build so it might be a great way to learn and get a little fresh air every now and then.

May 24, 07 1:27 pm
arclem

Before anyone says anything, I know, I left a "t" out of architecture. No hidden meaning.

May 24, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

On the plus side, I now a lot of bilders who don't spel to good.

May 24, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

I did one of my internships for a contractor. No big deal really- in interviews just emphasize how much time you've spent drawing CDs and handling RFI's and such. You'll probably be more qualified than most of the entry level people they get, and get paid a shitload more than you do in architecture.

May 24, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I work for a contractor...

+
-way better pay + full benefits
-normal hours (8-5 w/ a lunch)
-no abusive designers in the office
-wayyyy less stress cause if it gets done, it gets done (that mentality is hard to get use to)
-learn about the business of building (orders, po's, rfi's, real solutions, schedules)
-casual
-I get to work on a ton of cool spaces that vary so much, you'd never get your hand in this variety of projects at a firm. (anything from the apple store to live/work spaces in Venice, Kappe's house to Hagy Belzberg's place). This is where I learn the most- at the jobsite.
-I sit in on the weekly meeting for some very big projects and get to learn from all the “higher ups”.
-I see projects finish (In just a few months, I've seen at least a dozen project completed)
-It's hard...at least the detail drawing is. Stuff actually has to work- there is no one else to figure it out. (I learn a lot)

-
-I only get to design details (big big negative)
-architects are assholes (I have to take a lot of abuse because of their poor designs/ drawings)
-details are monotonous.
-orders, parts, quotes...everything is a number *yawn*
-Again, it's hard...at least the detail drawing is. Stuff actually has to work- there is no one else to figure it out. (it's scary)

Ultimately, I couldn't do this forever...I just decided to work here until I start grad school. I have learned so much about construction and the business of building...the stuff you don't get in school...the stuff that shocked me when I went to work at a firm. I think everyone should have this experience at least once….

May 24, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

did i misunderstand your question?

i took it to ask, "have any of you ever worked construction" - as in, have any of us ever done the actual building work...?? is that correct?

May 24, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

sorry...I thought he meant work for a construction company (which I do) and not on the crew.

as far as the crew members go...they know way more about architecture/ building/ details/ drawings than I'll probably know in 10 years. I think it would be valuable for anyone to get their hands dirty for at least a summer. My guys get prevailing wage on a lot of jobs and are making 2x's what I make.

May 24, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I worked cad jockey 4 years then went to construction - in the office.

Hours were way worse that architecture. 10 hrs day min. 100 mi/ day on car going to sites. Up at 5:30am.

Money was better.

Responsibility was tremendous because every thing you say or do is real money. Your the last word before something is ordered or built or spent.

I found it terribly borring - but at the same time it seemed much more like a real job than architecture. Maybe because if you enjoy architecture, it doesnt seem like work.

We did some design, but it was usually turning some horrible set of prints into something nice and usable and also cost effective. I see why they make the money - we could honestly and accuratly tell people what something will cost, and in times of wild price fluctuations thats critical.

May 24, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
arclem

I meant construction company, office side, ideally.

May 24, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i would recommend doing construction...work for a builder and learn how to carry lumber/lay concrete/etc....... you'll be surprised what you find out..

b

May 24, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
postal

there is the rare design/build firm that will let you do both... i learned a ton during a couple projects where i'd be in the office for 8 hours, then sheetrock, pull wire, etc at night...and then pour concrete on the weekends. (the schedule was rather brutal, we were the owners as well of this particular building, but we all got paid very nicely when it was all said and done) (avoid pouring curbs...shit's brutal... i don't think my back will ever recover)

May 24, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you can know how to put a building together, without ever putting one together. the truth is that construction workers are specialized and they do their thing and no little about the other trades involved and often don't give a damn about the concerns of the other trades.

May 24, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
arclem

Vado, that is why I am thinking of working for a general contractor instead of a particular trade.

May 24, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
arclem

What really peaked my interest in this avenue is that lately so many of our projects have come in way over budget and I want to learn why and how to do things in a more cost efficient way without sacrificing the design intent.

May 24, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
arclem

I would like to go outside every now and then as well

May 24, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

do it - you have plenty of time. i was a carpenter for 10 years before going and getting my MArch - i worked for a small contractor (in the U.S. Southeast) - this meant i was exposed to LOTS of the trades, hands-on as well as just helping to coordinate them.

also i was able to work directly with clients on the practical nature of their desires and implement them in real time, in materials according to their wishes - very satisfying, indeed...

imo you will come out ahead in the long run and you have very little to loose in the short.

May 24, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

AND you get to GO OUTSIDE! ;)

May 24, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
binary

want to learn why things go over budget..... get out there and do it......it's not just a matter or ordering a part and stickin it on a wall...... sometimes details need to be installed and un-installed/tweeded/etc in order for things to work out.....

then you figure costs for woodwork/metal work....... finishing times/clears/install/etc.....

then you figure figure wages and unions that tend to take there time and pay lazy asses to do things

then you figure they can only work a certain amount of hours during the day then weekends are overtime/etc......

basically it boils down to working with a good crew that understands goos design

b

May 24, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

it is called Design Build
i have been a Green Design Builder for many many years

it is very valuable and important experience to know how to build what you draw and vise versa

that combined with the ability to become a architect with out education and purely experience

May 24, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not too sure working for a construction company automatically means you learn how to build what you draw. Rather learning how drawings are interpreted by builders for construction. That's a subtle difference.

I find tho that I've had limited experience as a cad monkey, being instead able to practice architecture - from the design to the contract administration. A healthy and rewarding experience

May 25, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

In my experience ,It really helps ur visualisation skills ( in the long run i.e ) if you can actually see /execute what you are drawing.

May 25, 07 2:21 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

who draws anymore
i model everything ;)

May 25, 07 3:45 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

oh and i never worked for a construction company

i've been my own individual who has apprenticed under master builders, mostly not by choice and design builders and some of the coolest green builders to get my experience w/o edu

hey and who said child labor doesn't pay off hah...

May 25, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: